Slide Stop/release removal?

SpectreBlofeld

Let's say I wanted to remove the slide stop (well... no slide... 'action' stop?) from my 500.

Tell me why I shouldn't do this.

Has anyone tried it? Why is it on there? I figure there must be a good reason...

Stop me before I do something stupid!

cntryboy1289

need a little more info

First are you asking about a Mossberg 500 and second, what are you describing as the slide stop?

SpectreBlofeld

Yes, I am talking about the Mossberg. I am talking about the little buttom one must depress (upward in this case) in order to cycle the action. Would removing it in such a way as to make it always 'pressed in' create a problem?

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Sure would. You'd be firing without the action being LOCKED shut. Bad idea. The thing would open unless you really could hold it shut against thousands of lbs of pressure. I doubt anyone can.

dakotashooter2

Is it causing a problem that you would want to disconnect it? I have "short stroked" my 870 on occasion failing to lock up the action before firing. The result is usually the empty jamming in the reciever from lack of enough force to eject it and the next shell in the mag tube jamed up against it. The only time it is used is to open the chamber for the first round or empty to it. It should release on its own between shots.

SpectreBlofeld

Actually, I was reading about the Miami shootout, where an FBI agent was faced with great difficulty in operating the action of his shotgun one-handed, as his other hand was wounded. If the slide stop button didn't need to be depressed, it would be much easier to work the action.

Dave McC, thanks for the info. Guess I'll have to think of something else. I wish the slide release was built in the foregrip... it'd be nice to be able to simply squeeze it then work the action. Ah well...