Slide mount of optic problem

L. Boscoe

I got a plate from EGW for my CZ 97B to mount a red dot, something I have done with my 9mm without difficulty.
This plate seemed pretty tight, but it finally went in the dovetail after much
hammering on my brass punch, and seemed very tight. That was Friday.
it was in the house the whole time, and today I went to the range with the plan of sighting in the red dot. No joy-finally noticed the dovetail plate was loose.
I did not do any filing or sanding of either the dovetail or the plate, so I am
perplexed.
I rather stupidly did not use the blue locktight, thinking "this thing is so tight it
will never get loose"
Finally, the question. If I take it out, slop a lot of blue loctight on it and hammer it back in, would that be enough? If the shim route is needed, it's going to a gunsmith.:confused:

Scorch

THey have a set scew that holds the plate in place. Make sure it is really tight. If you feel a need for LocTite, just put a few drops in the hole and put the screw in and tighten.

BornFighting88

Blue loctite is your friend, but not THAT much of a friend. Moderation is key. Not understanding how you have a tight AND loose fit on this dovetail. You had to hammer it into place, yet it flops around like a wet fish in a barrel. Am I missing something here?

Nathan

I really need way more info, but this did happen to me once.

Basically, I hammered the piss out of a sight getting it in. Once in, it fell out almost. In my case there was a small contact point. Had I fitted it, I think I would have installed it easier and maybe increased the contact patch to hold it. I actually did fit it, added some staking/staging to the bottom, then installed with 320 and it was solid.

The best holding sights I’ve had I fit everything that touched until I got it about 75% in. Then I removed, put 320 on it and installed it all the way. for a few hrs, 320 will hold, but allow slight adjustments like a lube almost. Then when i5 cures solid, the6 never move. I only removed one. It came out with heat and hammer.

L. Boscoe

looks like I ignored a set screw. Re mounted with plenty of locktite and tightened set screws (this plate has four!) Looks good today. If that does not
fix the problem, shims are on the way.

BornFighting88

Glad to hear it was a simple fix. Thankfully with a gun, if you have a few screws loose, you can snug them up. Ask my wife…. She perpetually tells me I have screws loose and hasn’t been able to fix me up to her standards yet! Haha

Shims are good to get that little extra distance, but with loc-tite and good screw tension, should be ok.

When you are hammering hard on something, it is easy not to strike it at exactly the same angle every time. So while the leading part is tight, the portion behind it is worrying the slot wider with each slightly off-axis hammer blow.

L. Boscoe

Nick, you remind me of the time I spent a weekend working on machines with a German tool and die maker. He tried to teach me how to hammer with limited
sucess.