Slicking Up PW87 action & looking for a second stock.

Venom1956

Hey guys, finally got my PW87 in and im dying to T2 this bad boy. ;) The action is a bit rought and i was hoping to slick it up with a bit of polishing. Lever is very jerky. Anyone have any suggestions of where to smooth it out more specifically where not to? Im currently just planning to polish the sides of the lever where it is quite rough with tool marks.

Also if anyone has any info where i could get another stock to chop up for the Pistol grip I would also greatly appreciate it.

CaptainChaos

If the action is a bit rough, they may be the answer is to shoot it quite a bit before fitting a PGO stock.

I haven't ""fondled" a Chinese 1887 clone, yet. Mine is an Italian-made Chiappa 1887. It's pretty slick - pity about the *shooter* - but has loosened up, I think, with use.

I use it for PSG:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iy-26BV-LVE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=syZywq2o4J4

In the UK, the length limits for Section.1 (unrestricted) shotguns are 24"/40" for pump and semi-autos. For *other* action types, though, the limits are as for rifles: 12"/24". This is the reason that I acquired a lever-action S.1 gun - I have a 22" barrel on mine and would've gone shorter but my 1887 has choke tubes fitted so I obviously didn't want to have *those* cut off.

I have seriously thought of getting Chiappa to make me a custom gun with a slightly longer barrel and full-length magazine - the reduced capacity over a 24"/40" pump is the only thing that I really miss. (Oh, loading an 1887 is an "acquired art"...)

They are, of course, *great* fun to shoot.

Have fun.

Regards,

Mark.

herbs

Having owned an 1887, I can say that they're a POS. Finding ammo that ejects reliably is also a pain, so much so that I gave up and sold it in favour of an Adler A-110 lever action 12 guage. :D

CaptainChaos

Having owned an 1887, I can say that they're a POS.

I assume that you're talking about *Chinese*-made 1887 clones because my Italian-made copy certainly isn't a "POS".

I do have the odd failure-to-extract (see that last video that I cited) but I'm now a little more "aggressive" when cleaning the chamber area and things are much better than they used to be. (I also had a *lot* of trouble with my Ithaca M37 DSPS so it may very well be that our Brit cartridges are "POS".)

Finding ammo that ejects reliably is also a pain

As above - I'd just *love* to find some *real* brass-based ammo to try. I've a feeling that these older (or older designed) guns don't like steel bases.

I gave up and sold it in favour of an Adler A-110 lever action 12 guage.

How'd'you get on? If they was cheap enough over in Old Blighty, I'd be very tempted to get one of those to play with. I'm told that they are a similar price to the Norinco 1887s; if that were the case *here* I'd be a very Happy Bunny, indeed.

Regards,

Mark.

herbs

How'd'you get on? If they was cheap enough over in Old Blighty, I'd be very tempted to get one of those to play with. I'm told that they are a similar price to the Norinco 1887s; if that were the case *here* I'd be a very Happy Bunny, indeed.

The Adler is a good shotgun. Only issue I've had with it was the stock coming a bit loose, but I've tightened up the bolt and all is ok again. It feeds all 2 3/4" shells and ejects with no issues. Haven't tried 3 inch ammo yet though.

CaptainChaos

The Adler is a good shotgun. Only issue I've had with it was the stock coming a bit loose, but I've tightened up the bolt and all is ok again. It feeds all 2 3/4" shells and ejects with no issues. Haven't tried 3 inch ammo yet though.
So far, so good... :)

One thing that I remember seeing about those Norincos (in fact, a PW87, I think) was the advice that one *not* pull "down" when levering but make sure that one pulled "forwards". I've never found it a problem on my Chiappa, however.

Enjoy your new "toy" and please keep us up-to-date on any developments as you use it over the longer timespan.

Regards,

Mark.