SKS with tapco 20 rd mags

TennJed

I was wondering of anyone here has had any personal experience using the Tapco 20 rd detachable mags with an SKS? Research seems to show mostly favorable reviews with the mags but I also see a lot of people saying to keep the SKS stock with the fixed 10 rd mags. I wondering how many of the stock people have actually tried out the Tapco mags.

Any experience here?

HJ857

I think they're extremely good magazines and have worked as well as any of my AR mags, and better than my SKS-D that uses AK mags in that the Tapcos lock in with much greater forgiveness of the entry angle. The D model is quite finicky about the mag entry angle and can lock up wrong with relative ease.

If you use them in the original wood stock you must follow the instructions and increase the width of the magwell so that it does not squeeze the sides of the mag. This will cause failures.

The Tapco T-6 stock is made to accommodate these mags as is.

The lips of the magazines will weaken over time. When that happens the top round can move around or pop out if jostled a lot. The feed lips are not as robust as an AR PMag. The mag bodies are really good and the springs and follower are great.

One note, the standard SKS' bolt has rails on the bottom. These rails slide in to the magazine and lock it in place. This means that no mag can be inserted or removed with the bolt closed.

However, some smart person looked closely at the SKS-D bolt and saw that those rails had been removed, thus allowing magazine manipulation with the bolt closed. It's a reasonably easy modification to remove those rails if you want to go down that road. A bench grinder, a dremel and some patience is all you need. Easy to find directions online.

Also, I'd say that if you are planning on buying just one of these mags -then don't bother with it at all. Just stick with the stock 10 rounder. If on the other hand you want your SKS to have similar functionality to an AR or AK, and figure on buying a bunch of these mags, then the Tapco is the way to go.

Finally, using this mag brings 922r in to play.

bustersmaster

tapco mags

The Tapco's work great. I've used them in a stock yugo and a stock, then modified Chinese sks.
They do require some whittling on the stock mag wells and depending on how proficient you are with a knife and sandpaper (and your willingness to make permanent changes) they work pretty good. The very best way is to swap out the original stock with the Tapco stock. I've found the odd looking Tapco mags go into my Tapco stock like butter.
I wish my AK mags went into my WASR that nicely.
I have'nt had any feeding problems with my sks in any fashion, but I sure prefer the full Tapco conversion.
The only drawback with the Tapco mags is finding a way to carry them in a pouch or carrier of some kind, with the odd little J-hooks.
They do offer an on-line conversion to modify the Tapco 20 rounders to work with the J-hook sawed off. I've never actually seen one but the guy that offers it has a video that looks pretty impressive.
I vote for Tapco. I personally don't consider the run of the mill sks to be a collector's item, so I don't get too hung up about mods.