SKS Truck Gun ... Legal Options?

Jeff Thomas

Thinking of buying a cheap SKS as a truck gun. Seems inexpensive enough so a theft wouldn't break my heart, it's a popular and capable caliber, and SKS's seem to be very durable. Two main questions:

1. Is it legal to equip it with a folding, synthetic stock? Would seem to be more convenient for storage, and would endure heat / abuse better.
  2. Is it legal and practical to convert it to using AK mag's? If so, does that requre a gunsmith, or is it a reasonable do-it-yourself operation?
    [/list=1]

Anything I'm overlooking?

Thanks.

Regards from AZ

RHC

I don't know about the legalities of it, though I suspect that if the gun is post-ban it's illegal, but as a practical matter don't do it! The SKS works fine with the stripper clips, which are readily and cheaply available. Some folks have had good luck with the conversion, but a lot more have not. If you want an AK, they're available, too. They handle a little better than the SKS anyway.

P

PreserveFreedom

Unless I am mistaken, you can only give it a folding stock if you are replacing an existing folding stock on a pre-ban model.

Kaylee

Hrmm.. I had that very thing for a while...

As long as the SKS keeps its fixed magazine, I believe you'll be alright with the folder stock. The assault weapons ban only refers to weapons with removable magazines. You can add a fixed Chinese 20-rounder fixed mag if you're worried about capacity... they still have good reliability from what I hear, and you can still use stripper clips.

As to the removable magazine, not if you want to add the folding stock.. then you'ld be into serious AW territory. You'ld have a folding stock, pistol grip, and bayo mount (even without a bayonet on it) .. that gives you 3 evil features, and therefore is illegal. Scary, eh?

Anyhow, the clip-in removable mags for the SKS I've been told lead to spotty reliabilty. I couldn't speak to that, as my SKS was likely the only one the state that had spotty reliabilty no matter what.

Finally, one thing to consider. Several years back, when they were even cheaper than they are now, I came to the conclusion that my decision to build a folding-stock SKS was a waste of money and time. After you add in the cost of an SKS and a folder stock, to say nothing of a detachable mag, you're really treading close to the cost of an AK.. a SAR, anyway. There comes a point where you're spending more turning an SKS into a wanna-be AK that you'ld be better off just buying an AK in the first place. Besides, a fixed-stock SAR is already almost as short as a folder-stocked SKS, what with about 4" or so less barrel and a really short stock.

So, short answer... if you want to spend around $300, just buy the SAR to start with. If you really want the SKS, you're prolly best off deciding to be happy with its limitations and dump the thing as-is behind the seat (or whereever)

-K

Destructo6

When I considered a trunk gun a while ago, I wanted something that:

A) I wouldn't miss if stolen.
B) If discovered by thief, wouldn't be appealing or able to find ammo.
C) If discovered by cop, wouldn't be much of a find for him and he would be more likely to buy the, "Oops, must have forgotten about that," or "On my way to get it checked out."

I settled on a Mosin-Nagant M44.

Technically, if it wasn't in assault rifle configuration prior to 1994, it can't be converted now.

Also, if it's in any danger to be stolen, you shouldn't sink many dollars into it.

If you have your heart set on an SKS, I'd go with a surplus version, with bayonet, and leave it as issued.

Johnny Guest

Moderator in Memoriam
The SKS is a nifty truck gun just as issued - - -

Jeff Thomas - - -

I generally agree with the others' comments. Couple of additional - - -

Legalities aside, you might want to consider your goals and what you would accomplish with the modifications.

Folding stock is NOT more durable than the issue wood stock, which is about as delicate as a two-by-four. The hinge point of a folder is the weak area. With stock extended, a fall onto uneven ground, especially if rocky, can easily ruin the stock. The side folder reduces length, yes, but the package is MUCH wider, restricting ability to store behind or beneath a truck seat.

If you look around, you can probably find a "paratrooper" version, with 16-inch barrel, which is very handy.

Use of AK magazines--One of the neat things about the SKS is how slender and compact is it. (See above comments re: Storage in the truck.) Ten rounds is plenty for any use short of a pitched battle. If you believe in aimed fire at all, it is hard to envision a situation when ten won't do the job. Many consider a .30-30 lever gun with five to seven rounds in the magazine and a butt cuff to be plenty. Besides, the stripper clips are very handy. I used to keep two of 'em rubber banded to the stock, inside the gun case.

Another consideration: Compared to an AK or an AR, the plain, wood-stocked SKS is not alarming to many segments of the population. This may or may not be a consideration for you, but it could be - - -

And, the more you spend on this item, the less "expendable" it becomes, presuming cash outlay to be a factor.

Best regards,
Johnny

K

KilgorII

In order for a folding stock on an SKS to be legal it must have had a folding stock on it prior to November of 1989. You may REPLACE a folding stock on one of the aforementioned weapons. The SKS is a different animal than a typical semiauto military weapon. The laws are screwy.

On the AK mags: If you want this, just buy a $289 SAR as was suggested above.

Kilgor

The Gooch

ak mags

Gents

As far as converting an SKS to take AK mags is pretty much an urban myth from what I have read on the rifle. It would take some serious machine work to have this done. You DO have a few options. You can buy the SKS type D which was manufactured by norinco to accept AK mags or you can try to insert the adapter by rifletech and use thier mags. Loading with a stripper clip somehow seems faster to me than swapping magazines. I guess it is up to you. Anything you ever wanted to know about the SKS is pretty much available on WWW.SIMONOV.NET A great site if you are into these rifles.

Good luck

ps What is a "truck gun?"

The Gooch

Benjamin

Re: truck gun

Gooch,

'truck gun' refers to a firearm kept in one's vehicle at all times (or at least, the majority of the time). The exact purpose of said firearm varies from person to person, but it's usually a good excuse to buy another gun ;)

Ezeckial

Find a Paratrooper (16" barrel) and stick with the fixed box magazine.

The "trooper is short enough to fit behind a Ford Ranger's seat (standard cab...not extended) in a soft case with no problem. Keep 8-10 rounds in the magazine (I personally wouldn't keep one in the chamber) and a few stripper clips loaded in your glove box or console.

Also, it looks like a standard ol' rifle, not an "assault weapon". Less threatening to the cops, if you get pulled over. Less appealing to the creep who wants to steal it.

I've got one of the Sporters (accepts the AK magazines). The magazines tend to be a bit of a hassle when inserting them into the mag well. On my rifle, the East German mags are easier then the Chinese (the rifle is a Norinco).

You can convert an SKS to accept AK magazines...you must replace the trigger group and modify or replace your stock. You'll be making a cheap rifle more expensive then. Also, possibly...possibly..reducing it's reliability.

So, for a "toss it in the cab" rifle...leave the gun stock.