SKS tactical questions?

Dave3006

I'm sorry. I put the word "tactical" in the subject line to get people to read the post.

A couple questions for the SKS experts:

1. How fast are they to load with the stripper clips? As fast as a Garand?

2. Can you easily top off the magazine?

3. Would you consider yourself at a huge disadvantage when compared to a box fed semi auto if you were in combat?

Thanks. I actually hate the tactical word.

fastang50

pdq

I had an SKS for awhile, sold it for lack of interest, not because it wasn't a solid piece. The strippers load very fast, very very fast actually. Then when you pull it out the bolt closes automatically, provided you pushed down the catch with the stripper when you insterted it. I don't think it can easy be topped off though. After the last shot the 'follower' lifts a catch to hold the bolt. There's no manual way that I know of to lift that catch externally.

I too dislike 'tactical', it was SKS that got my attention

CWL

No easy way to top off.

The NVA, Viet Kong, Pathet Lao & Khmer Rouge didn't seem to have any problems using SKS' against American M16s.

It's the shooter, not the gun.

9mmepiphany

1. the stripper clips are very fast
2. the problem with "topping off" is that you eject a round as you pull the cocking handle back
3. compared to somthing with a 10rd detachable clip, i think it comes down to how proficently you can handle the stripper clip vs the box mag...i would rather have a SKS then a ruger mini-30

DMK

It is possible to top off.

If you really had to, you could quickly drop the contents of the mag, then pull the bolt back and load a full stripper.

Really, this is little different that dropping a half empty mag on the ground then popping in a fresh one.

9mmepiphany

if you REALLY wanted to top off the mag...

you could pull back the cocking handle, ejecting the chambered round, and hold it back with the edge of your right hand (sorta like with a m-1 garrand) while jamming loose rounds in with your off hand...it would involve bracing the stock against something (your hip/thigh) to stabalise the gun

blikbok

DMK and I have the same solution.

Way back when, an SKS was my only centerfire rifle. We spent plenty of time trying to figure the best way to use it in case Y2K happened :)

Best way to use the SKS is to treat it like a 10-shot muzzleloader. Fire until empty, reload. If you really need to tac reload, dump the mag, rack it to lock the bolt back, and refresh from strippers. Don't slip on the loose shells.

It's quicker and saner to have only one motion, reload from empty, than several. Discarding the chambered round and trying to lock the bolt back manually while retaining ammo in the mag is trouble. You've got to deal with an odd number of rounds on the stripper. If you don't engage the bolt hold-open, you might lose a thumb :) And, it's a three-handed exercise.

It's really not that bad. You should be using cover at all times anyway-- a detachable mag of higher capacity can't stop incoming rounds. You should have a pistol anyway-- in case you are suprised while empty or it jams. And you should be able to reload from strippers without concentrated attention anyway.

We tried turning it upside down and dropping a few loose rounds into the mag. In both SKS we had, that screws up the double stacking order and induces jams. :(