SKS Questions

scorpion_tyr

I have a Yugo SKS (Zastava M59/66A1). I'm not going to make it tacticool or anything. All I would like to do is add a scope and maybe another magazine. Here's my questions:

1. Does anyone know a good scope, and way to mount it?

2. How are the detachable magazines? Are they as bad as I've heard?

3. Does anyone make a 20 round fixed box for the SKS?

I think that if you add a magazine to it and adjust the feed lips then feed it with stripper clips that is the best way to go. Someone chime in if I am wrong, but that was my plan before discovering the glory that is the norinco sks-m.

XLT

There are 20 round fixed chinese mags running around here and there...seem to have a reputation for working well.

Tapco makes a 20 round detachable that is supposed to be very good, however, I believe on the 59/66 you have to deal with parts count issues (922r compliance) if you use it. That can get expensive.

I use the scout mount from http://www.scoutscopes.com/, works wonderfully. I have a 4x simmons prohunter on mine and it has done everything I needed to do with it.

Jay1958

I own several SKS's and I have to say, I don't think they were ever intended to work well with scopes. I don't have scopes on any of mine, and while I have seen a ton of other people with scopes on theirs, most of them came to grief with them....

doc540

$200-$300

1. Optics: the Scout type mount is the best. Just google info on a Scout mount. It replaces the original sight and provides the most stable platform on an SKS. I'd stay away from receiver cover mounts though they work well. You have to remove most of them to thoroughly clean the gun.
You can mount optics on a handguard rail, but the handguard has to be very tight to keep the optics sighted in.

(Here's a link to a great article on Scout scope mounting: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews2005/akscoutscopemnt/index.asp ) SKS mounts the same way.

You can spend a $1000 for scopes, red dot's, or holo's or less than $100 to just try different types.

Here's a cheap red dot on an aftermarket handguard rail:
AtiSKS006-1.jpg

2. Yes, most higher capacity, detachable mag's are trouble, but the Tapco 20 rounder has worked well for me as well as an "Americian" brand, metal 30 rounder.

3. Yes, 20 round, fixed box mag's are available. Just google and/or gunbroker.com for them.

Have fun!

Technosavant

Get out your checkbook.

The Yugo 59/66 SKS is imported as a curio/relic firearm. It is only a C&R firearm so long as it is not altered from its original state (replacing the magazine with a different type or mounting optics are such alterations). Once the C&R status is voided from alterations, the firearm is an imported non sporting firearm, which is prohibited from ownership as per section 922r. This means you are in violation of federal law unless you replace several parts of the firearm- you can have only 10 or less imported parts on a non-sporting firearm. You will need to replace seven parts on that rifle with US-made parts in order for it to be legal.

The Yugo has a pretty funky legal status, more convoluted than that of even other SKS carbines. Many folks don't think it a big deal or scoff, but the law is the law, and it is foolish to willfully flout the law, no matter how obscure or difficult to check. I recommend following the law in every particular.

You will likely need to replace the gas piston, operating rod, magazine (three parts there- body, floor plate, follower), stock, and hand guard. All those parts are fairly easily swapped and will put you into compliance.

doc540

"You will likely need to replace the gas piston, operating rod, magazine (three parts there- body, floor plate, follower), stock, and hand guard. All those parts are fairly easily swapped and will put you into compliance."

There ya have it and within a $300 budget if you shop around.

Have fun!

scorpion_tyr

Thanks for all the info guys. I'm not the "perfect" law abiding citizen, but when it comes to my firearms I am. I'm not going to risk even the slightest chance of having my weapons confiscated and/or giving the anti-gun movement any more motivation. The time may come for the SKS to get an upgrade or two, but for now to ensure I stay compliant and to save some cash I'll just leave it as is. Once again, thanks for the info!

gustav129

doc540 said:
"You will likely need to replace the gas piston, operating rod, magazine (three parts there- body, floor plate, follower), stock, and hand guard. All those parts are fairly easily swapped and will put you into compliance."

There ya have it and within a $300 budget if you shop around.

Have fun!

Tapco Fuse System (Handgaurd, stock, and seperate pistol grip; 3 compliance parts) - $80
Tapco Detachable Magazine (body, floor plate, and follower; 3 compliance parts) - $20

There's 6 out of 15 parts on an SKS, which leaves you with only 9 imported parts, and a 922(r) compliant rifle for only $100.