sks project

Limeyfellow

You can replace the stock to a fiberglass one. There are a good 20 or so out there for any style, with folding stocks Druganov styles, more traditional sks styles and so on all out there that can lower the weight. Removal of the bayonet also greatly lowers the weight and you can always use that bayonet swivel mount to attach a bipod. If its a Yugo SKS with the grenade launcher that can be removed. However the one thing about the SKS is it does have a lot of weight and its one of the reasons it has so little recoil.

3 weelin geezer

How can you tell whats imported and whats not? Are they normally marked from the factory? I have a yugo 59/66 and I don't see any thing that sez where the parts are from. I have seen some after market ones that are marked such as the piston.

beenthere

Sks

I'm with tshadow on the customize. While I've never put one on a scale, the SKS FEELS like it weighs at least 1 1/2 pounds more than a 30-30. Besides that, mine being a Yugo w/grenade launcher makes it one of the ugliest milsurps I've seen (In my eyes anyway). Granted the extra weight reduces recoil but the seemingly lighter 30-30 isn't objectionable to shoot unless you are one of the folks who never got beyond a 223 and call it a high power rifle. If I found the lighter rifle too much to shoot I'd think a 4 ounce recoil pad wold tame it sufficiently.

The other thing I don't understand is the foreign parts rule. If I replaced the stock, cut off the grenade launcher, installed Mojo sights and a Huber trigger would they put me in jail? Since I bought it through a regular dealer it never came through the C&R ranks (I think). It was in VG (Not New) condition when I bought it so with the 10's of thousands in circulation it has no particular value other than as a "shooter". Since I have minimal money invested in it, I could throw it in the river if I couldn't sell it with the cut off or changed parts. Loss = about as much as 3-4 tanks of gas.

tshadow6

My sks is a Chinese model I bought in 1989. (I rarely sell any of my guns). I think a folding stock would be great. What company make a good one?

gburner

I believe that Choate and Butler Creek both make 'glass' replacement stocks for the SKS. It has been my experience that they are heavier than the wooden stocks. You can get a 'monte carlo' type, a 'dragunov' type or a folder. I only have experience with the 'drag' stock. It looked cool but was heavier and less 'handy' than the wooden one. Check SKSman.com.