SKS or SAR?--Got both!

dennie suman

Well, thanx for all your suggestions on my previous post. I ended up buying both of these! The SAR1 was covered with an oily protectant and looks like a new rifle!
The SKS is rough looking, but appears to be in very good mechanical condition. It did not come with stripper clips so I will have to get some of those. Also, no manual. I will have to find one or see if I can figure out how to strip it to clean it.
Did not have much time to play with them last night. I remember reading another thread about using Simple Green to clean handguns. I tried this on the 2 thirty round and 1 ten round mags that I got with the gun. I disassembled the mags, sprayed it on straight from the bottle, let it set for a few minutes, then rinsed it off with very hot water. Oil was gone! I let the mags lay over night on a towel, then reassembled them this morning. Couldn't have been much easier!
Now when I figure out how to take the rifles apart, I will try the Simple Green on them.
I am real anxious to try these rifles out! Hopefully this weekend.
Thanx for all your help. I think the "bug" has bit!!
Dennie, NRA Life Memeber, GOA

Congradulations! Your SAR looks new because it is new.. They are new production rifles with some parts replaced with US parts soley to get them imported, not used rifles.

loknload

Congrats on the purchase ;) Check out www.ak-47.net and you should be able to find the take down instructions for both rifles there. You won't regret the purchase of either rifles :)

Happy Shooting :)

------------------
We preserve our freedoms by using four boxes: soap,ballot,jury, and cartridge.
Anonymous

dennie suman

After cleaning them,I took both rifles out Saturday. They both shoot great! Had a good time!
I cannot believe how short the stock is on the SAR1. I may add a recoil pad just to lenghthen it a bit. The SKS is Ok the way it is, but may replace the stock with something else.
Dennie

Icopy

Totally agree with you on the AK. After shooting ARs for years, the AK (SAR1) feels like it was meant for midgets. Good choice in getting both.

DougB

If you want a longer stock for your SAR-1, consider the K-Var U.S.-made Bulgarian style black plastic stock. Its 1 1/4" longer, but otherwise just like the Bulgarian. Very high quality. I put one on one of my SAR-1s and am very happy with it. Id does give them an "extra evil" look (the Boy Scouts I showed it to last week nearly drooled - of course, they had no idea what it was, but they knew it was cool. I also had the Russian Cobra red-dot sight installed).

Doug

dennie suman

DougB,
Where do I find the K-VAR stock, and what price to expect? I am new to AK's and not familiar with the suppliers.
Sounds like a good thing if the price is not prohibitive.
Thanx, Dennie