SKS magazine issue

Opinated

Bought SKS 7.62 x 39 with a detachable 30 round magazine. Has aftermarket polymer folding stock, maker unknown, which partially obscures the markings on the receiver. It does say Norinco and Egypt. Have not yet done any disassembly. No chance to test fire before purchase.
The magazine has no markings at all, no letters, no numbers.
Magazine loads well and fits the rifle well. With Tul ammo-- the only ammo I have--loading the chamber and then inserting the magazine, the round in the chamber fires and ejects fine. Then the round from the magazine noses down and jams the rifle-- does not go into the chamber.
Any idea what is the problem?
It will be a while before I can get back to firing the rifle again, but your suggestions are welcomed and will be applied as soon as possible.
Thanks.

Personally I've had back luck with Tula hollow point ammunition loading from an aftermarket detachable magazine. I don't like aftermarket magazines for an SKS and have had much better luck with the OEM magazines. I know. It everyone has that opinion but it is my experience with multiple rifles, multiple different magazines, and different ammunition, but particularly hollow points. You could try some FMJ and see if you ha e the same issue. If the magazine isn't fully loaded and this is the last round in the magazine that isn't loaded you could look for blemishes on the floor plate, or it may be a weak magazine spring. Id try FMJ ammo and a different magazine first and go from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)

Ricklin

Original?

Did you get the original 10 rounder with the SKS?

I am not a fan of the aftermarket mags. The stock 10 round mag can be reloaded very quickly with stripper clips. I would almost bet a 30 round mag dump happens faster most of the time using strippers. It's rare for the ten rounder to jam, have never seen it myself.

The big 30 rounder is out of place on the SKS.

ttarp

I've heard the new production detachable magazines are ok, but the older ones were mostly garbage. I'd either buy a new duckbill mag or try to find a fixed 10 round original(better choice in my opinion).

Bamashooter

I have a ton of stripper clips and had my Chinese SKS for 25yrs. Ive gotten pretty good at reloading the factory 10rd mag but wouldnt mind trying out one of the tapco 20rd mags just to see.

Opinated

Failed to note that the Tulammo is FMJ, not hollow point. The detachable mag is polymer with no identifying marks at all. Did not get/do not have the original mag. One purchased on eBay likely to be OK?

Model12Win

First of all you need to not use the cheapest ammo you can find. Buy some good quality brass cased Winchester or other brand ammo and you're problem will likely go away.

Failed to note that the Tulammo is FMJ, not hollow point. The detachable mag is polymer with no identifying marks at all. Did not get/do not have the original mag. One purchased on eBay likely to be OK?

You could first try the SKSboards.com and see if someone on the site has one for sale. If not, a reputable eBay seller seems as good as anything. The original magazines are pretty robust and if they look visually decent and complete they are probably good to go. If you can find ammo locally it might not be an ad idea to just pick some up and try it as well. It could be short stroking which could be an ammo or gas system problem. Maybe disassemble the gas system, give it a good cleaning and check the condition if you haven't already. Check for leaks around the flange end that connects to the gas block. If all that checks out then I'd try ammo next.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk (meaning my post is likely full of poor typing and autocorrects using wrong words)

DubC-Hicks

Definitely get an original mag if you're OK with it. If you want to stick with detachable, try Tapco. Aftermarket SKS mags are EXTREMELY hit and miss. Tapco seems to be the only one that gets a majority of good reviews.

Cheapshooter

There have been tons of poor quality large capacity mags thrown on the market for people who want to, illegally in most cases (check the 922r compliance requirements), try to turn their SKS into the AK they really wanted. Most are utter failures.
I think those from Tapco have the best chance of working.

http://www.tapco.com/section922r/

ttarp

First of all you need to not use the cheapest ammo you can find. Buy some good quality brass cased Winchester or other brand ammo and you're problem will likely go away.

This really shouldn't be an issue, and kind of defeats the purpose of the SKS, being a cheap reliable rifle. They run fine on garbage ammo if they have a decent magazine to feed it with. I don't know what ebay prices are, but if they aren't outrageous I'd give it a shot.

Texas45

This really shouldn't be an issue, and kind of defeats the purpose of the SKS, being a cheap reliable rifle. They run fine on garbage ammo if they have a decent magazine to feed it with. I don't know what ebay prices are, but if they aren't outrageous I'd give it a shot.

For reals.
My SKS has shot nothing but Tulammo steel since Ive owned it.
Of course its running original 10rd attached stock mag.
I have not installed the original style extended one I have.
These weapons were made to operate on the cheapo ammo and will do so reliably if in proper working condition.
I would put money on the conversion to and or use of AK style mags.
If you want an AK rifle buy one and a standard SKS.

My AK as well as my SKS shoot steel cheapo ammo all day.

Try another factory AK mag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cheapshooter

I would put money on the conversion to and or use of AK style mags.
Try another factory AK mag.
My guess would be it doesn't use factory AK mags at all. But rather the aftermarket mags that have what looks like an AK mag hanging out of what looks like a factory fixed mag fitted flush to the mag well.
If it is one of the old pre ban SKS rifles that actually use an AK mag by all means find mags that work. Otherwise find an original fixed mag, and may e an original stock as well. Put it back to the original fun gun, and enjoy.
If you think you want an assault rifle to go into some sort of battle with, save up your money, and buy an AK, or AR.

big al hunter

I had a similar issue with my SKS when I tried 30 round mags. I loaded 25 to 27 rounds and it functioned flawlessly. Too much pressure on the spring made it jamb. Give it a whirl. Might not need anything new.

Opinated

Thanks for the reduced magazine loading suggestion. I will try the reduced cartridge count in the magazine. Not sure when. Winter is here and this oldtimer is going to various physicians quite a lot lately.

Chainsaw.

Tulammo should run just dandy in ANY sks. Some folks just have an aversion to the stuff because its steel case.

As stated some of the mags can just flat out suck. Grab a tapco 20 rounder. Even then Ive found a rat tail file used to make a little half round on the front lip of the mag just in front of each stack of bullets can help. I think the tapco will cure your issue though.