SKS legality question

sterno

Since the sunset of the assault weapons ban, what modifications to the SKS are legal? Are they all legal? I know it used to be that you could do some things but not combined with others but I wasn't sure what of all that is still in effect today.

C Philip

As far as I understand, that ban only affected the capacity of the magazine. So if you want to modify your SKS to accept 30rd detachable magazines, that's fine. However, some states still have limits on the capacity of magazines, so make sure it is legal in your state. And of course, it is still illegal to modify any gun to shoot full auto and/or to make your own suppressor.

Webleymkv

legality could also be an issue as far a C&R is concerned. Altering a C&R weapon could possibly make it non-C&R and therefore cause problems if you got it with a C&R licsence. The details are fuzzy to me, so I would suggest contacting the ATF if you have questions. Also, as mentioned before, some states still have regulations that did not sunset with the ban (it only affected federal laws) so I would also suggest checking into your state and local laws.

dfaugh

As I understand it

there's more to it than just the lifting of the ban...There are other BATFE rules in place, such that if you modify it so that it is not legally importable, under some of these other laws, its illegal. Check the BATFE website, and if necessary write them with specific questions...This is very complicated, and its hard to get straight answers, on exactly what's legal...You don't wanna get in a bind with the .gov, its just not worth it...

Additionally, as mentioned, state laws may differ...Here in NY we have and exact restriction of the federal ban, and it didn't expire, so we still have all the same restriction...

Not a lawyer, but I've checked this out for personal reasons (and come to the conclusion that there's not much I can do, legally)...

Bonstrosity

I've read some stuff about this also. The bigest problem is something about having more than 10 forign made parts while have multiple "evil" features (ie: high cap. magazines, folding stocks, bayonets...) There are a couple other posts on this if the search is working you'll be able to find them, otherwise do a search on google or metacrawler you'll be able to come up with something.