SKS. 40 Round mags.

MosinM38

Okay.. stupid question.

I searched but couldn't find the answer directly about this.

Now we went to a local gun-shop and in teh rack was a Russian SKS ($240. Not gonna buy it but looked at it). It had a 40 round Detachable Mag in it.....

Now we didn't know. But had always assumed(Thought) that the 40 rounders had to be fixed like the standard 10 rounder...... This one was detachable and we were surprised.

We are curious because we are planning on getting one and were curious how easy it would be to take out the 10 rounder and allow it to use 40's (Assuming this wasn't a oddball).

Thanks.

P.S. This does sound dumb but amazingly until now we really have ignored SKS's in general.

P.P.S. Is $240 a average deal for a Russian SKS? I have heard they are a better gun than the Yugo version.... That is what we were planning on getting. $130 for a Yugo VS $240 for this Russian one.

Manedwolf

They're not at all reliable.

If you want a hi-cap mag, get an AK or an SKS-D that uses AK mags. The SKS hi-caps are just goofy, and very prone to malfunction. You can see from the massive, clunky attachment system that it's trying to adapt "quick changeout" to a rifle that was indeed designed to have a fixed magazine, and it's got all sorts of problems.

If they worked, Simonov would have included them with the original design. ;)

Limeyfellow

If you can get a good Russian 10 rounder thats a really good price for a Russian SKS. Some have been going as high as $400 in really good condition.

It sounds like it has an older detachable magazine aftermarket addon. The vast majority of these are junk, though the new Tapco ones work better, as do Chinese military ones that haven't been imported into the US and a couple of other sellers. In the past detachable magazines like that have always been hit or miss (most often miss).

MosinM38

Thanks for the answers!!!

I was curious. I had heard that the 40 Rounders were POS but I assumed that was if they didn't lock tightly. This one seemed good. But I think probably a 10 rounder would be better (And you can use stripper clips).

And thanks about the Russian Info. I sorta liked this ones darkwood stock more than the light (Beech?) stock on the Yugos. But hey. I never thought about it I could probably stain a SKS stock.