Skinner sight for a Marlin 336 Texan

Deaf Smith

Well I have this Marlin 336 Texan carbine made in 67.

I want to put a Skinner rear sight. I understand it might be a bit to tall and the front sight will need to be replaced.

Do any of you know if the Skinner Express sight is lower than the standard 336 model?

Thanks,

Deaf

dwwhite

I don't believe the express is any shorter, just longer. It covers more of the top of the reciever for a more streamlined look.

I'd bet that if you emailed Skinner directly, they could tell you for sure.

I will say that I heartily recommend their products. I used a modified one for years on a Rossi 1892 clone. I drilled and tapped the bolt and used their Marlin 1895 sight as a bolt mounted peep. It doesn't offer quite the prescision of adjustment that a Williams or a Lyman might, but it looks great, and once set, works perfectly.

Even if you have to purchase a new front sight, it's worth the effort and money. I also think you may find that the thicker vertical blade that Skinner sells offers a better sight picture than the post/brass bead that likely came on your Texan.

GeauxTide

They sell front blades to match the rear sights. Don't think about it, do it. I did on an 1894, 1895, and a 39 Mountie. You want that bigger blade with the Skinner.

NoSecondBest

They sell sights in .400, .450, .500, and .600 height. Just get the taller one and file it down. All you have to do then is put a dab of bluing on it and it will be perfect.

Deaf Smith

Well i got word from Skinner.

Looking at both the 'Reliable' and the 'Express' as the photos seem to show the Express was a bit lower.

Turns out the The Express sits .062" lower than the Reliable (and it looks cooler!)

So I'll gamble on the Express and hope it don't shoot so high.

Deaf

dwwhite

You won't regret it, even if you end up replacing the front sight too.

One bit of unsolicited advice, get the brass model, because it looks cool, but paint the back of it flat black. That yellow wall in your sight picture is really distracting, especially when shooting with the sun at your back.

NoSecondBest

I install fiber optic front sights where possible
on my "peeped" rifles. Makes a world of difference.
For a hunting rifle, that's the way to go. I ended up putting a Marbles fiber optic on my Win 1886 45-70 and it works fantastic. The height is perfect and I can still shoot very good groups out to a hundred yards with no problem. Probably the best set up I ever had on a lever gun for hunting.