skim/pillar bedding timing

zach_

I plan on skim bedding my b&c stock. Does it matter if I do this before having the action "accurized, trued, machined" prior to doing this other planned upgrade? Is the machining process unnecessary?

I read about a company that claims that b&c, Macmillan, an other aftermarket full bedding blocked stocks need pillar bedding as well. Would it be a real benefit, or completely unnecessary?

gman3

If you change the exterior dimensions of your receiver, it will no longer fit your bedding job, as the bedding will form a mirror image of the bottom of the receiver and recoil lug. Have any machine work done before you bed.

I haven't heard that McMillan, HS Precision, B&C, or other quality aftermarket stocks with full bedding blocks/pillars need to also have the action fully bedded for the rifle to shoot well.

I would wait and see how it shoots after you get it all put together. Chances are, it won't need to be fully bedded as you describe.

zach_

P S, I have been shooting the rifle with the new stock with good results for a few months. I am hesitant to start the "fix it till it's broke" process.

What I read about was the accuriser product discussed on other forums. Of course, the mfg claims you are completely missing the boat without their product.

As far as the machine work, there is a local place, S&S Precision rifles, that will blueprint and bed an action for $375.00. I am not clear if this would benefit my fifle without using a "match grade" barrel as well.

cw308

Zach, I started out with a Remington 700 LTR 308 cal. Comes with a HS precision Stock. I'm a benchrest shooter, use the rifle only for accuracy. Changed the trigger to a Jewell set at 10 oz, The HS stock I bedded with Devcon, rifle shot very accurate. After 4000+ rounds I had it blueprinted new match grade M24 5R Rock Creek barrel installed. The Company ( accurate Ordanance ) rebed the stock. If your rifle is a good shooter now, I would do the bedding, shoot the stock barrel out, when installing a new match grade barrel have them blueprint and rebed at that time. My rifle by this time is a part of me, I don't want to shoot any other rifle.

Bart B.

Best thing about proper epoxy bedding is the barreled action can be taken out then put back in the stock and it doesn't need "shot in" a few times to reseat it back to a good fit. Otherwise, the zeros typically change a little for a few shots.

Any action blue printing other than lapping in the bolt lugs, squaring the receiver face to the barrel threads, setting firing pin protrusion to .060" to .065" and squaring the bolt face is not needed. Some 'smiths insist on doing more but it's not needed. Adding a good trigger may help if you cannot master the factory one.

Last edited: