Skeet/Trap with Revolver?

n3twrkm4n

Just wondering if anyone ever tried shooting skeet/trap with something like a .44 mag and larger calibre with shot loads in them.

Seems like it would pose a whole new challenge... maybe I'll try it some day, especially there wouldn't be so much lead rain given from a pistol round. Definately a challenge to aim.

Buzzard

I was told by a couple of local guys here in AZ that they use .44mag with shot shells to hunt rabbit and quail...they claim it is a challenge.
I have not tried it , my .44 is magna-ported.....can't shoot shot shells accordding to CCI. :mad:

Jim Watson

I have seen skeet shot with one of those Contender .45-.410s with choke.
He hit some with the regular half ounce .410 skeet load, so it is doable with that rig. I don't know if you could get enough shot into a revolver to make the shot. No reason you shouldn't try and let us know how it works.

James K

Member In Memoriam
It has been done with .22's but the targets were small discs and the range was about 10-15 feet. Of course revolvers with shot shells are not new; many of the old "trick shots" used shot shells and the western shows of the Buffalo Bill type used small shot in both rifles and revolvers so they could hit aerial targets without punching holes in the tent.

The main objections to shooting regular trap/skeet with a revolver would be that the shell could not possibly hold enough shot to allow an effective pattern, and would not have enough power or range to break clays in any case.

Jim

n3twrkm4n

Perhaps full size skeet is not a good idea but like mentioned above they have those little clay discs next to all the bb guns that you can throw a limited distance?

We used to hunt bird in pine brush which was pretty much crawling height to get through there but the .44 with birdshot worked wonders.

This was a product of my boredom at a desk job... MEH, I'd rather be shooting/hunting/fishing/sleeping (oh wait I am at my desk!)

sm

Yep, 'tis doable I have shot skeet , clays with handguns.

Problem is the payload in the .44 and .38spl produced very very poor patterns, and #12 shot - though fine for say low 7, or from a portable trap like a Trius One Step is fine...having to shoot any distance you have "holes" in pattern.

Now a Thompson With a .410 bbl shooting #8.5 shot is a whole 'nuther ball game. :D Doubles are doable - just gotta hit 'em both when they cross. ;)

We preach over and over again- One has to Pattern / Site in their gun and loads for the task. Makes no nevermind what the bbl 'says' , or what the box of ammo 'says', or what some super ninja tactical website or magazine 'says' not even what some guy on the Internet 'says'.

You have to shoot the durn things and let the pattern board / target define for sure what YOUR gun , YOUR loadings do in YOUR Gun with YOUR skill and training for the task intended.

FWIW I knew folks that are now passed, learned to shoot old school , with them "antiquated revolvers". Normal Dept regs were to shoot at 50 yards. Yes I typed yards.

I have watched these guys use regular ammo - no pellet loads. Hit flying clays. Safe backstop was used and all safety observed.

Kinda awesome so watch a fella slap leather, pull that Model 19 and nail a clay just out of portable trap...really awesome to see them take doubles. :D

Seen 'em do it with 1911 and BHP too, regular ammo mind you...always one old fart that just has to upstage everyone, uses a danged old Colt SAA. From the draw of course. Using some old lead bullet loading - probably a Keith.

"Pull!"

"Shatters!"

:eek: :eek: :D

RWK

MANY years ago (50+) as a kid at Boy Scout camp, I frequently shot “Mo-Skeet” with a .22 long rife shotshell. These were much smaller (perhaps a third the size) skeet disks (seemed to be identical material composition) that we fired at with single shot, .22 long, bolt-action rifles. It was inexpensive, tremendous fun, and really sharpened you coordination shooting skills.

I can see no reason why the same could not be done with a .22 long handgun (especially a revolver).

JoeHatley

Not a revolver, but I used to shoot hand thrown clays with a T/C Condender in .44 hot shot.

It's actually a lot of fun, but to get any kind of consistent hits you had to jump on them FAST, well within 20 yards and inside 15 yards was better.

Joe

n3twrkm4n

Seems like it would be definately good practice... I think it's funny just recently I picked up skeet/trap shooting again and I've been better at leading the clays than before (when younger) and I noticed that my online gaming performance with guns has gotten better with leading.

Some day gamers will help win the war :D (whatever war that may be)

But I have realized that some gamers have a hard time drawing the line at reality and virtual reality, like my friend who I took skeet shooting. His first concern was that guns had recoil, cause in video games they do not.

I think I just hijacked my own thread but it's good to discuss people who are not wholly in touch with reality.

Sir William

I used to own a S&W #3 that was sleeved to 22 lr and had a modified FP. It had belonged to a circus trick shooter. Their act involved hand thrown plates, speed draw and 6 fast shots that resulted in 12 broken plates. 6 shots and 12 broken plates. Astounding to witness. I used to shoot a hybrid revolver, a half smoothbore and half rifled bore. The nomemclature for that bore has escaped me. It also was for shot shells and I could shoot regular cartridges also. I used them in CAS. A similar concept involves walnut media and baloons in CAS mounted shooting.