Skeet Gun Choice ?

Dead-Nuts-Zero

Having an urge to buy a new gun, can't decide if I want a new rifle or pistol. The more I think about it, maybe its time for a new shotgun instead.

Having shot skeet year round for several years, I eventually lost the interest I once had. Now I’m getting the urge to start again.

I still have my Remington 1100 skeet gun I got new for my 12th birthday many -many years ago (back in the 60’s) after totally wearing out an old used 11-48 skeet I once had.

I can still shoot the 1100 and enjoy it, or I can shoot my 870 w/skeet barrel as I often did when the weather got down around 10 degrees. However, having the new gun urge, I can see a new O/U.

My question, what is popular on the skeet fields these days (lets say under $2,ooo) in a basic but solid 20 ga O/U?

Back in my day, I dreamed of a 101 or a Citori (with barrels or inserts and a fancy fitted case) but could not afford the gun and still afford to shoot. I expect there are few of these guns still being used. Now days, I expect most everyone has the new style screw in chokes for other use like clays, trap, hunting etc.
I don't need fancy just solid basic quality. Can I still do it under 2K in a popular new skeet 20 O/U? I also liked the red label Ruger but didn't see many of them on the skeet field. Or better yet, how far would 2K go toward a nice used O/U in a better grade?

RoscoeC

I just bought a Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting with adjustable comb for $1695.00. Along with that came a check for $100.00, a nice range bag, a hard case, a nice sleeve and a Cynergy cap.

I have about 1500 rounds through the gun and absolutely love it. The junque is kind of cool, but I would have bought it without the junque.

Guns Unlimited of Omaha.

zippy13

Brownings XS Skeet is a great gun, but is 50% over your budget. See RoscoeC's comment (above) on the Browning Cynergy Classic Sporting.

The beretta 686 White Onyx, Sporting at $2,257 is closer to your budget, but like the Cynergy, it's not a Skeet specific gun. The Beretta 682 Gold E, Skeet is a very nice gun but at $4,450.00 it should be.

For the biggest bang for the buck, the new Belgian made Winchester 101's should not be overlooked. Their Model 101 sporting, at $2,179 is relatively undiscovered and may be a sleeper deal. But, if I were in your shoes, I'd be looking for a used XS or 682.

In all my years of competitive Skeet, I've never seen a Ruger on a target field. Earlier today, in another thread, I remarked:
What I can't understand about Ruger: They designed and built the best black powder cap and ball revolver ever made only to suspend its production, yet the O/U which is their worst offering is still in production. There must be a lot of uninformed folks out there buying their O/Us based only on brand loyalty.​

olddrum1

What ever you do don't buy a Browning.:eek:

Without calling CDNNsports first. 800-588-9500 is their number. I have got a couple of pretty good deals from them but you need to call. If you google them up, they have a downloadable catalog to view some of the stuff they carry but the inventory changes so call.

CB

olddrum1

Sometimes it helps to know what area you are at if a deal comes up. I passed on a white onyx like Z13 described that was $1000 with case and choke tubes.

ilmonster

The "B" guns, Browning Citori's and Beretta 68X series are proven guns in the clay sports, will go tens of thousands of rounds before needing anything approaching a rebuild, and best of all can be had used all day for less than $2K. I have a Citori XT I use for skeet and 5 stand with 6-7,000 rounds through it and it is still tight as the day I bought it new.

If you're looking at Brownings, the various Citori models only differ in stock dimensions, rib height and barrel length. Pick the one that "fits" you best, that shoots where you are looking.

BigJimP

"Fit" is everything -- so the gun hits where you look ....but you know that since you have some experience shooting Skeet. But since we're guys - and have short attention spans - or at least I do ... doesn't hurt to say it again out loud.

The #1 style of gun I see on semi-serious Skeet shooters / let alone competitive Skeet shooters are parallel comb O/U's ...some custom fit, some with after market adj combs, some with factory adj combs ...and Beretta, Browning, Perazzi, Kolar and Krieghoff take up at least 90% of the market share probably - in 12, 20, 28 and .410 .

One gun, out of the box, that fits that list is the Browning Citori XS Skeet with the adj comb ( but like Zippy said / today its around $3,000 new ( list is $3.319 ) - and I do see a few used ones for around $ 2,250 - $2,500 - which isn't too far out of your budget. I think its a lot of gun for the money (and for full disclosure, I have 5 of them ) ....and it fits 90% or more of the guys with its adjustabiliy ( height of comb, cast on or off / and with an adjustable Jones pad - if you need it ) I think it'll fit 100% of the shooters that buy it.

http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?value=008B&cat_id=013&type_id=066

You can't say that with guns that have angled combs. As you move up or back on the comb ( winter clothes, summer clothes ) your face is in a different spot on comb - and point of impact for that gun changes. When I was shooting Citori's with angled combs ( like a Lightning ) ... I had an "outfit" - a chamois shirt, a fatigue sweater, my shooting vest - so it put my face on the comb exactly where it needed to be. I live in a cool climate - so that was ok 9 months a year ....but not so much in July and August... but I couldn't shoot that gun in a T shirt ( I was too far forward on the comb ) and my point of impact was off over 2 Ft at 21 yards ...

Today's Skeet guns:
1. ( where money is no object ) - go with one receiver / two 12 ga barrels / have one bored out to accept full length tubes from Briley for the 20ga, 28ga and .410 so it becomes a "carrier barrel" for the tubes only. It cannot be shot with tubes in it ( not choke tubes ) - full length tubes. The 2nd barrel becomes your 12ga gun / the carrier barrel and tube sets become your sub-guage guns. One receiver / weight with carrier barrel and tubes is the same as the standard 12ga barrel ...same rib, same weight, same balance, same trigger ... Its a great system. You can buy that setup from Kolar or Krieghoff ( $20 K - $30K probably ).

You can buy 2 barrels for a Browning - like an XS Skeet .... send it to Briley / have it made up with tubes, etc / today gun and 2 barrels will cost you $6K ( buy 2 guns / keep the extra receiver ) / tubes and work will be another $2K or so, so call it $ 9K total.

Virtually every gun you see on a competition clay target field / will have screw in chokes ( even with tube sets ). Screw in chokes / some guns come with 3 - 5 / but you can buy whatever you need for $ 50 - $75 each.

2. ( where budgets come into play ) I would go with a Browning Citori XS Skeet, 30" barrels, with the adj comb, a few extra chokes, a good Browning hard case .... $ 3,500 ....( used $ 2,750 )...

3. Semi-autos some have adjustabiltiy / shims between receiver and stock. For some guns - you can get aftermarket stocks with parallel adj combs ( Jack West makes some for the Rem 1100's ) ... So the 1100 is still an option / or Beretta 391, etc .

Another gun, I like in this mix - is the Benelli Super Sport..for about
$ 1,875. It comes in 12 or 20ga / although its so light, I like the 12ga as an all around gun in a 30" barrel. It has "peel off" recoil pads of different lengths ( about $ 85 each ) and optional comb pads ( raise it about 3/4" - about $85 each as well ). It comes with a synthetic stock, the benelli comfort tech recoil system is in the stock / its an inertia gun vs a gas operated gun - so it shoots really clean. I use my SuperSports as "rain guns" and "travel guns" ....where I only want to take 1 gun ....it does a lot of games, even some hunting very well . I'm seeing a few used now / they've been out about 6 yrs --- but I've seen two at my local gun shows for $ 1,200 ( a good buy in my opinion ) ...it comes with 5 extened screw in chokes.

There are other fine guns out there / below Kolar and Krieghoff in price ( Perazzi, Blazer are two of the better ones ) but you're still in the $ 5K - $ 8K price range.

oneounceload

Some very excellent advice from the knowledge base of folks above - I would add a few other potential possibilities -
'
A Beretta gas gun in the 39X series, target version. Even used, these will last a LONG time.

IF skeet is the only game, then a Belgian Browning Superposed, originally made for skeet with 26-1/2" barrels and fixed choke for SK/SK might interest you. These guns, made from the 60-80's, can be found in the $1500- $2000 range in very good shape. FN Brownings from that era have some VERY nicely made barrels with excellent swing dynamics and great patterning chokes.

A serious skeeter, like Jim mentioned, will have a 12 gauge gun and a carrier barrel with the sub-gauge tubes. That can wait until your positive this is your game; until then a good 12 will work wonders.

Good luck!