Sizing brass then wet tumbling

bbqncigars

I personally have never introduced an 'unclean' case to a sizing die. There are contaminants that can score carbide. I decap, SS tumble clean, spray lube and thence to the rest of the loading procedure.

Nick_C_S

I personally have never introduced an 'unclean' case to a sizing die.

Neither have I.

I vibra tumble in corn cob first.

Then resize/decap, flair; followed by a wet tumble in ss pins Lemi-Shine n Dawn.

Reloader270

I first wash all cases to get rid of any dust. This is necessary to prevent scratches to the sizing die. Then dry it in the sun and then size it. After sizing I wash cases again to get rid of the wax I am using.

sevt_chevelle

I personally have never introduced an 'unclean' case to a sizing die.

Neither do I.

What I've been doing is wet tumble for about 30 mins, cleans the brass pretty darn well then run them through my Dillon 650 with a depriming die. Then throw the brass back in the tumbler for about 2hrs. Doing the 30 min tumble first keeps my press WAY cleaner.

Was thinking of replacing the depriming die with a sizing die and eliminating a step.

kilimanjaro

Clean it first.

Think of it as wiping a smear of mud off a cartridge before chambering it. You don't want to ruin your rifle, why ruin your dies?

grumpa72

I wet tumble rifle brass with SS media, a dash of Dawn and Lemishine for 30 minutes and then rinse and let them air dry. When that is done, I then size, deprime and tumble one more time. The final SS wet tumble is done as before but for 90-120 minutes. Works for me.

I will add that the 30 minute tumble cleans the brass exceptionally well and the water runs BLACK when finished.

velillen

For pistol, I wet tumble then consider it ready to go (ie just tumble it first and then resize, prime, ext)

For rifle I tend to decap, tumble for 15 minutes or so. Works enough to get the case plenty clean. Then size them. Then back into the tumbler to get rid of the lube and do a good cleaning. Only do this cause I often process the brass in large batches so don't want to leave cases with lube in a bin for months and months.

oldandslow

SC,

For the last hundred thousand pistol and rifle cases I cleaned each case with a paper towel, then resized, and for the last ten thousand rounds have ss tumbled after resizing. Cases are spotless, no scratched dies. No problem resizing before tumbling.

Best wishes-oldandslow

I usually use a universal decapping die & then do a full clean wet tumble... then size & trim... I only re-wet tumble if I had to lube the cases for sizing ( use as many carbide dies as possible ) if the cases are lube free I go ahead & load them...

jepp2

Wondering if this would have any effect on neck tension

I wet tumble prior to sizing, because of the way the pins beat up the case mouth. Any cases I wet tumble I chamfer the inside of the case neck to eliminate the rolled edge. This wouldn't impact neck tension, which is what you asked.

Gravedigger56

Use a universal decapper, then clean, then size.

^^^^ This ^^^^

After sizing and trimming, I run them in a vibratory tumbler for 30 minutes to remove the lube. I will say it's tough to see all that nice shiny wet tumbled brass come out of that tumbler covered in dust.:(

schmellba99

I decap, SS tumble clean, spray lube and thence to the rest of the loading procedure.

This right here. Using a universal decapper, I don't have to worry about anything in a sizing die. And I don't have to clean my brass twice. It is simple, straight forward and works extremely well.

Rondog

I decap everything first, then wet tumble. I don't size them until I'm ready to start loading. Except rifle brass, I resize those, then trim to length, then load. But I still decap and tumble first.

FWIW, I use a small cement mixer from Harbor Freight and 25 lbs of SS pins for wet tumbling. I can run a whole bucketful of brass at once, and I can mix several calibers as long as they don't nest inside each other.

Clark

I like to deprime, then clean, then dry, then size.

I like to keep the steps simple while watching Tosh.0, as there are visual gags.