sizing .45lc down to .44mag?

troy_mclure

i have a hand full of .45lc, and i am in need of .44mag brass.

has anybody ever successfully sized them down? any reason not to try?

Mal H

Staff
troy - Do you know the actual sizes of those two cases, including the rims, or are you only going on .45" vs .44"?

Edward429451

Hey, I was watching! It wasn't my gun or ammo or me shooting! I saw the bulged brass on the ground and told him to stop. There was two bubbas there that day. One bubba handed over the wrong ammo for the gun, the other bubba didn't check the ammo before loading the gun.

zxcvbob

If you're lucky, you will only get it about 1/2 inch into the sizing die before it sticks (and you'll be able to get it out again.) If you get all the way to the case web and a little beyond before it sticks, you'll probably tear the case head off trying to get it out.

It may not even start into the sizing dies; 45's are quite a bit larger than a .44

bedlamite

In theory you could, but it would just be cheaper to buy several thousand 44 mag brass than the equipment to do it.

troy_mclure

troy - Do you know the actual sizes of those two cases, including the rims, or are you only going on .45" vs .44"?

well i did actually measure the rims(.44 is .002 bigger). and they use the same shell holder and are the same length. lol

i was just seeing if i could treat them like .25-06/.270 when i size them to .30-06. thats a much bigger size difference there.

dahermit

i was just seeing if i could treat them like .25-06/.270 when i size them to .30-06. thats a much bigger size difference there.
Unlike the .45 to .44 concept, the .25-06/.270/.30-06 all use the same parent case (same head size).

mavracer

just to explain the reason why it doesn't work with the 25-06 270 30-06 you are only necking down the mouth of the case. with the 44/45 the 44 is straight walled so you'd have to resize all the way to the rim including the web of the case which is solid on the 45 colt.

Rifleman1776

Advising one to learn is good advice.
He is inquiring about something that would not be a question if he had even basic knowledge of firearms.
People have stopped learning for themselves. With guns that can be dangerous.
The answer is "no" or just "Hell no!".

troy_mclure

just to explain the reason why it doesn't work with the 25-06 270 30-06 you are only necking down the mouth of the case. with the 44/45 the 44 is straight walled so you'd have to resize all the way to the rim including the web of the case which is solid on the 45 colt.

i didnt even think of the web! thanks!