Size vs Quantity

OldSoul

Is it better to have more rounds (ex. My Ruger SR9 17+1) or have a more powerful cartridge (ex. Charter 44 special 5 rounds)?

Justice06RR

Its a toss-up really. i.e. Would you rather have 20rds of 9mm, or 6rds of 44Mag? or 30rds of 5.56 vs 5rounds of 50BMG?

I would probably always side on the quantity as long as the cartridge is appropriate for its purpose. A .24 or .32 wont cut it IMHO

OldSoul

The purpose would be conceal carry. I guess with my 9 I can always double tap if needed.:D I just like the bigger calibers I just wish they had higher capacities because I like to think of myself as a pretty decent shot but who knows in the case of a high stress situation.

45Gunner

I would imagine you are referring to CCW guns? I always carry a .45 ACP with Speer Gold Dot Ammo. With 8 + l cocked and locked and a two mag pouch carrier, I should be able to handle anything except an attack on an embassy.

I think a .44 would be too big and heavy to carry around.

Guns in S & W .40 generally have a higher capacity than a 1911 but in my opinion, the .45 hollow point does more damage with the lower velocity and I do not have to overburden my trigger finger by pulling the trigger to many times at the BG.:D

Sheriff Gotcha

With good quality SD ammo I couldn't imagine worrying too much about 17 rounds of +p 9mm not being able to get the job done. (34+ rounds if you carry a reload)

I can't deny the montra that bigger holes are better, however a hole in and of itself is still a deterrent regardless of size.

Kreyzhorse

More is better and bigger is better. That however, isn't always possible with a CCW gun.

In this case, pick a gun that you can conceal and will carry with you. Carry a gun that is reliable and you are accurate with. If you always have your gun, it's reliable and you can shoot it well, that trumps capacity and caliber every time.

Just an additional thought, but most self defense shootings average less 5 shots fired. Unless you are a police officer, I would feel under gunned witha five or six shot revolver.

Pianoguy

Between high stress affecting accuracy and the fact the BG might have some friends, I'd go with capacity. Even with a 45 a lot has to go right before you can count on dropping an assailant with that first shot. Look at those two cops in New York a couple of months ago. They fired a lot of rounds at one guy (and half missed). I'd rather have a few more than I need than not enough.

I like my snub-nose but I feel more comfortable with a double-stack semi.

DBLAction454

Here we go again...

The most important part of any firearm for self defense is how well you can place your shots with it.

So carry the largest caliber that YOU feel comfortable with. For me its 45 for my brother its 9mm. If you can't hit your target then it doesn't matter how big your bullets are. But you'll never hear someone say "Damn I wish I had a smaller gun in this gunfight!"

Like I said. Largest caliber that you can hit your target with. If your surgical with a 44 magnum and you can conceal it then by all means go for it!

-DBLAction454

drail

The number of rounds in the gun will not matter if you cannot place the first 3 or 4 where they will do some damage quickly and on demand. I think too many people worry about having lots of rounds and believing it will make up for their lack of shooting skills. It might, but don't count on it.

EdInk

Like most decisions in life, you have to make a compromise in some way. This is a frequently asked question and one with no decisive winner. (Search 9mm vs .45acp and home your computer doesn't crash. LOL)

Personally, I like my concealed carry guns to be very lightweight and pretty compact in size. The advantage is they are very comfortable (barely feel it most of the time) and conceal pretty well without having to dress differently than normal. The downside is recoil from a large caliber cartridge in a gun, weighing less than one pound, is not a great thing. It is controllable but it takes longer to realign your sights causing a slower follow-up shot and requires you to use more physical strength which results in quicker fatigue. Therefore, I use 9mm or .38spcl in those guns. The reduced stopping power of the cartridge is compensated by simply allowing for more ammo capacity and quicker follow-up shots on the target.

Other people do not mind carrying a heavy gun. The heavier weight reduces the recoil felt by the shooter allowing easier control. The downside is you can't fit as many large object as small objects into the same size area. So, you sacrifice capacity for the gain of stopping power. However, the odds are slightly better of stopping the attacker with one hit. It's a compromise.

The best advice I can give you is to determine whether you prefer to carry a lightweight or heavyweight gun. If you like lightweight go smaller caliber. If you like heavyweight carry a larger caliber. It will boil down to preference. Keep in mind the gun will be carried way more hours than minutes being shot even at the range.

drail

And that is why you must invest in a quality carry rig. If it's not comfortable to carry all day you WILL stop using it. A good carry rig enables all day carry of even a large frame revolver. I spent some years as an instructor and carried 5 in steel 1911s and large frame S&W revos all day with no problems.

RedBowTies88

Is it better to have more rounds (ex. My Ruger SR9 17+1) or have a more powerful cartridge (ex. Charter 44 special 5 rounds)?

.44spl Is NOT any more "powerful" (in term of energy) then 9mm parabellum. They're pretty equal in fact in stand pressures. Now when you start moving into 9mm+p then you're pulling quite a bit of energy over .44spl

That said, even if compating to .44 mag I would much rather take more rounds then a little more energy.

Nanuk

It does need need to devolve into a 9mm vs 45 debate. There are other options. The real question is what do YOU shoot best.

The advantage with the revolver you already touched on, you can carry a more powerful round generally, however, there are exceptions.

There are bad choices and a 45 or a 44 is never a bad choice.

MLeake

A .45 or .44 is a bad choice if the shooter can't control it.

I like them fine, but my follow up capability would be very slow (relatively speaking) with a .44 mag.

I normally go with a .45, personally, but sometimes a 9mm (when the .45 is too big for what I am wearing or doing).

pgdion

For me, I'll take round count over size any day (as long as the size is at least 9mm). Will gladly take 15 - 17 rounds of 9mm over anything else.

pgdion

I think too many people worry about having lots of rounds and believing it will make up for their lack of shooting skills.

For some this is true but I have a different angle. We all hear about the average incident is resolved with less than 4 shots fired but at the same time we are by nature a group that does not deal with averages. If we were, there would be no reason any of us would carry. The average person will go through their day (even their lifetime) and never need a gun. Even the average CCW will likely never need their gun. But we carry one anyways, why? Because we worry about the non-average day where something bad might happen. And for those same reasons I worry about the non-average encounter that may need more than 8 rounds. Do I feel comforatble carrying my .380 Bersa with 9 rounds? Yes. Do I feel better when I carry my Cougar with 15 rds of 9mm? Yea, you bet I do.

MLeake

It is hard to argue against quantity.

My preference for the .45 is because I shoot 1911s better, one handed, than I shoot other autos. (Stances are great at the range and in competition, but Murphy's Law suggests I may not have both hands available for the gun, in a fight.). I usually carry 2 spare mags with a 1911, giving a total capacity of 25, but also importantly providing mechanical redundancy and some counterweight to the pistol.

The CZ75 family come in second, one-handed for me, so my primary 9mm is a P01. With one spare mag to add capacity, redundancy, and counterweight, that's 29 rounds.

My really small 9s offer no capacity advantage over a 1911; the MK9 actually holds fewer. Then again, they typically serve me as BUGs on my weak side.