Size, turn, size again.

mrawesome22

Anyone do this per the instructions in the Lee collet die box? I've tried it and all I felt it did was give more tension when seating. I don't know how, but it does. Accuracy is the same either way. Uneccesary, time comsuming step, or are there benefits I'm overlooking?

Stargazer

I got in the habit when I am seating the bullet in my 45's to seat half way or so and then spin the case around and seat it all the way. Seemed to make less of those reloads that have the hell of the bullet more so on one side than the other.

snuffy

Mr22, the reason for that is the lee collet die is a 4 way split collet, when it closes to squeeze the neck against the decapping/pilot/mandrel, it leave 4 very narrow areas of the neck un-affected. Turning 1/8 turn positions those missed areas under the solid areas of the collet, insuring the whole neck is sized. Anything you can do to insure a tighter bullet pull with a lee collet die is a plus. Most of mine have needed to have the pilot reduced in diameter to get what I considered enough seating resistance.

mrawesome22

Well now that I think about it, the collet fingers are very wide compared to the gaps in between them. I figured when the collet closed, the gaps closed. Pretty sure they do when the sleeve comes down on them. Must be a very small gap left and rotating the case closes these small gaps. Anyway, even without rotating the case I get plenty of neck tension, rotating them just gives me more.