• Anything ‘published’ on the web is viewed as intellectual property and, regardless of whether it displays a copyright symbol or not, is therefore copyrighted by the originator. The only exception to this is if there is a “free and unrestricted reuse” statement associated with the work.

In order to protect our members and TFL from possible litigation, all members must abide by the following new rules:

1. Copying and pasting entire articles from another site to TFL is strictly prohibited. The same applies to articles from print or other media, and to posting photographs taken of copyrighted pages or other media.

2. Copyright law provides for “fair use” of portions of a copyrighted work. You can copy no more than a SINGLE paragraph from the article to your post (3 or 4 sentences at most).

3. You must provide a link to the article along with the name of website. For example: ww.xxx.yyy/zzz (The Lower Thumbsuck Daily News).

4. You must provide, in your own words, a brief summary of the article AND your reasons for believing it will be of interest to TFL members. Failure to do so may result in the thread being closed or your post being deleted as a “cut and paste drive by.”

5. Photographs and other images are also copyrighted. "Hotlinking" of images (so that it appears in your message) from other sites is also prohibited unless you own rights to the image. If you wish to share an image, provide a clickable link to it.

Posts that do not follow these new guidelines will be altered or deleted by staff. Members who continue to violate this policy may lose their posting privileges at TFL.

Thank you for your cooperation and your participation in TFL, the leading online forum for firearms enthusiasts.

Site improvement

PolarFBear

May I suggest a change/addition to users' profile. List the STATE of each member that posts. With the wide disparity of State Laws, customs, economic conditions, listing the State would add a lot to the posts. California is tremendously different from Tennessee. Posting of state of residence should not betray anonymity.

The user profile already includes a field for location. Those who want to reveal their state can enter it in that field. Speaking as a member/user, not as a moderator, I specifically chose not to enter my state (or even my country) in that field. That's not just here -- I'm a member of a few other forum sites, not all gun-related, and I don't post my location on any of them.

Frankly, if revealing my state of residence were made mandatory, I would probably cease participating in this forum. Anyone who isn't aware that we have fifty states and that their laws vary probably isn't intelligent enough to be allowed out of the home without an attendant. That said, where the state becomes important ti understanding a discussion about a particular law, usually one of the moderators chimes in to ask for clarification, or to post a clarification.

FWIW, I notice that your profile doesn't seem to have the location entered. Why is that?