Sisters

Hawg

P53 Enfields. One born in 1861 and the other in 1977.

twins.jpg

madcratebuilder

Them's cousins!

These are sisters...there Enfields...bit newer. Purchased several years apart, I found 9077 at a show last year and it was so cheap I had to buy it. I was thinking it was a similar serial number to the one I already had...

I should pack a case full of 3f and see what I get.:eek:

twins.jpg

Legionnaire

Sweet, Hog. Who's the maker of the new one? I have my flintlocks taken care of, and have been thinking of adding an Enfield or other Civil War era percussion lock. That one sure looks nice!

bedbugbilly

Hawg - I'll tell you a little story about an original Enfield. I used to shoot NSSA - was at Winchesteer for Nationals one time and a friend of mine wanted me to see a fellow's gun that was down the line a ways. We walked down and when he finished shooting the relay, my friend waved to him and he brought it over. It was an original 2 band Enfield that looked like new.

The story - the fellow was a Viet Nam vet and at one point of his tour, they came across a cache of arms in a tunnel while on patrol. They went down in and pulled them all out. Most were modern weapons, BUT, there were TWO original 2 band Enfields, covered with grease. He latched on to one as his "take home souvinir" and he said that he just about cried when they had to pour gas over the weapons and touch it off - he tried talking a buddy in to taking the other one but it was a "no go".

The fellow also told about hearing of a similar find when a cache of arms was found only the cache included a engraved Henry rifle. He'd heard that an officer had latched on to that only to loose it when they got back to base camp to a higher ranking officer. These arms must have been part of some arms purchases back in the day when the French controlled Viet Nam.

I also owned a Whitney Plymouthville Rifle at one time - original - which I sold a year or so ago. I remember seeing a photo on the back of some military magazines of an Afgan rebel - this was at the time that Russia had troops there. I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw that one of the rebels was carrying a Whitneyvill Plymouth Rifle on a sling - I neglected to save the magazine and just wished that I had it to show.

By the way - a nice set of "sisters" - and those "modern" ones are nice too!

bedbugbilly

hawg and madcratebuilderv- just thought of another story that I wanted to share.

Seeing those two consecutive numbered Enfields - I used to go to a gunshow down in Toledo, OH many years ago. There was a fellow there that sort of specialized in 45/70 and 50/70 Springfields - he had some very nice carbines that he would display and was just a nice guy to visit with. One time, he tolde me about purchasing 10 45/70 Springfields - I can't remembeer where he was from but someone knew that he liked 45/70s and the fellow belonged to an American Legion Post. The Post was 'cleaning house" and they found the 45/70s in the attic - evidently the Post had taken the building over from the Grand Army of the Republic Post just after WW I.

At any rate, he said he bought them sight unseen and when he picked them up - all 10 had consecutive serial numbers. His explanation was that the GAR Post probably got them from the Government as surplus to use for parades, fire squads for funerals, etc. He said that shortly after he got them, he did a show in Atlanta and had them on display. A guy cam along and asked if they were for sale and he said he should have known better, but he put a ridiculous price on the ten - thinking it would scare the guy off. It didn't - he came back in an hour with cash and they went to a "new home". The fellow that sold them said that it was the worst "seller's remorse" that he had ever had - but, he said that it was cushioned somewhat by the very inflated profit he made on them.

Hawg

I had a 45-70 trapdoor carbine. I had sellers remorse even before I shipped it but I made a bundle off it.:D

robhof

robhof

Talking about found guns, reminds me of a male nurse that I worked with in the Phillippines in the 70's. He was a caver and after any 2 days off, he'd come back with parts of Japanese swords or badly rusted guns that he found. After one week end; I asked what he found and he told me of this rotten wood box of 1911's in foil packs, and in the foil they were covered with thick brown grease. I told him I would buy one sight unseen, he told me that he had turned them over to the security police because you can't have real guns in the Pi. He brought pics in a few day later of the box and one of the foil packs open with a New greased up 1911 in it.