Siren Coyote Locator

Skeets

Member in memoriam
On occasions I've been out on my farm between 10:00pm-4:00am.If an emergency vehicle(lights&siren) goes on a run,the coyotes go nuts howling!Sounds like 2-4 dogs,on and off, if runs continue.Have you guys experienced this?All comments appreciated.:D

Pahoo

Local "plant" siren.

Have you guys experienced this?All comments appreciated.
Oh yes, one of my Grandson and his hunting buddies, have learned that trick.
Every Tuesday at noon, a local siren goes off and this one is extremely loud. The woods come alive with the coyotes howling. Then they set off there predator call and they come in on the run. Last week they shot three and one was a really big buck ...... :)

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

kilimanjaro

Sirens get them howling, no doubt about it. You'll find out how many coyotes can call a ten-acre wood home when the train goes by, too.

buck460XVR

Sirens get them howling, no doubt about it. You'll find out how many coyotes can call a ten-acre wood home when the train goes by, too.

Similar to Tom's in the spring. Amazes me sometimes how you can use every hen call in the book, loud crow calls and coyote yips/howls and think there's not a Tom for miles, until the local noon siren goes off, the 9:15 train blows it's whistle going by an intersection, a back-gate of a dump-truck slams home somewhere in the distance, or the local farmer turns the milk pump or bunk feeder on. I actually have one of those air-powered boat horns at the bottom of my turkey hunting backpack for those days when they don't respond to anything else.

Big part of hunting is locating your quarry. Kinda hard to hunt 'em iffin you can't find 'em. One has to use what works.

RCL

There's a volunteer fire company a little over a mile down the road from me....if the siren goes off at night you can hear coyotes howling from every point on the compass.

g.willikers

Our Shepard mutt did that.
If he heard a siren, he'd imitate it for way too long.
He sounded just like it, too.
It didn't make him very popular in the middle of the night.

kilimanjaro

I'll let you in on a real old-timer coyote hunter trick. Get one of those radio-controlled cop cars with a digital siren, and run that around the area you suspect the coyotes den up. You will need to prepare the route by trimming the vegetation, sometimes.

The coyotes will follow the little car right up to the muzzle of your gun, positively uncanny how it works.

Don't the rest of you guys flame me for giving this up, but the secrets have to be passed along to the next generation.

rickyrick

Put out some spoiled chicken... They'll check the same spot for a couple of weeks... Until you shoot at one of them.

Best to only take sure shots, misses educates them.

buck460XVR

Originally posted by rickyrick: Put out some spoiled chicken... They'll check the same spot for a couple of weeks... Until you shoot at one of them.

Check your local and state regs first tho. Around here it is illegal to use any meat or animal part as bait. No sense in becoming a violator over a dang 'yote.

rickyrick

Good advice.
I mainly did the chicken in front of cameras just to get an idea of the numbers.

I always chunked dead feral pigs into a far away pit. Kept the coyotes away from the domestic animals, not even a need to hunt them.

Skeets

Member in memoriam
Sirens/Coyotes

Thanks guys for your response and info.I've shot quite a few coyotes,ALWAYS have an accurate rifle with me when working in back.Thanks,Skeets