"Sir, we're doing everything we can ..." Call your airline!

Jeff Thomas

Want some "fun"? Call your favorite airline. Ask them what security measures they have undertaken. Put some pressure on them to give logical answers.

"Sir, we're doing everything we can ...".

"There is no safer time to fly ..."

"We are following all FAA security directives ..."

Ask them what their airline is doing. The fun begins.

You see, our government / FAA has such a stranglehold on these companies that they are afraid to show any leadership.

What could they do right now? Strengthen bulkhead doors. Allow qualified pilots to arm themselves. Hire their own armed marshals.

Instead, they are waiting for the next government program.

The FAA won't "let" them? Fine. Let the FAA publicly announce that refusal. The airlines might face repercussions by taking on the FAA? You don't think they'll face repercussions if they don't take on the FAA?

Perhaps I'm showing some incredible naivete here, but frankly, I believe that relying upon government is exactly what helped get us into this situation. And, I'll be da*ned if I'll be cowed into getting back on their planes to show "faith" in the system.

Dear Airline CEO: Want me to show "faith" in your company? Glad to. Show me some credible, practical and effective measures to improve security. Unilaterally if necessary.

Until then, I'm not interested in taking the bait when you offer up such silly, half-a$$ solutions as we've seen so far.

Regards from AZ

ps ... please don't tell me I'm not showing the proper amount of patriotism here. I can be patriotic without signing on to fly with fools.

Coltdriver

The FAA is in the impossible position of being charged with both the promotion of flying and the regulation of flying.

This guaranteed their failure from day one.

Wanna know why there are no secure doors to the cockpit? Because the airlines did not want to put up the expense and the weight. Weight causes fuel burn, reduces profits.

The FAA is not entirely controlled by the airlines, but I can assure you the airlines are not entirely controlled by the FAA either.

The new office of homeland security needs to step and dictate some changes to both.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
Per links to newspaper articles from World Net Daily, over the last few days:

In Canada, the pilots' union lobbied against the government's idea to put strong, lockable doors to the cockpit.

At present, U.S. airline pilots can legally have handguns, although the article made no mention of airline policy. At any rate, an FAA spokesman said that effective November 1, pilots may no longer carry a handgun on board.

Duh?

Art

Jeff Thomas

Art, do you have a cite for the November 1 FAA policy change? I'm dumbfounded.

Sort of ... our government can be so inept.

Regards from AZ

Jeff Thomas

Ah ... now I'm getting a bit steamed:

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,35046,00.html
"Gephardt said Reagan National Airport outside Washington, the only airport still closed due to the Sept. 11 attacks, could reopen once planes using the airport are equipped with better cockpit doors."

I wonder if I'm understanding this correctly. Are they actually making sure that planes using Reagan National are upgraded for security, whereas those the "rest" of us fly are ... well, just fine, right?

Is this typical Congressional bravo sierra or what?

Regards from AZ

Hippie

One wonders if they dont want it to get out, cause some sharp lawyer could prove negligence on the part of the Airline Industry for discouraging pilots from being armed.............Oh-- i sent the idiots an E-mail to. Just doing my part for the pilots...keep fingers crossed..............