Single stack 9 choice, PPS, CM9, G43

Dirty_Harry

I want to pick up a single stack 9 to pocket carry instead of my 642. I like the 642 a lot, but 38 spl is more expensive than 9mm and I like ammo standarization.

These are the 3 that I am looking at the most. Not completely opposed to a shield, but it has to be 9mm. Anyone own all 3 of these have any plusses or minuses?

Thanks

Hank R

Before you buy you may want to read the article and test that was done in Guns And Ammo latest issue. There are some real surprises in the 10 single stacks that were tested with over 8,000 rounds fired. The winner was the Taurus PT 709. It is priced at $300 or less and bested all others in accuracy and reliability as well.

Dirty_Harry

Thats funny, I did read the article last night. That is one of the reasons for my 3 choices. I actually held the Taurus last night as well. I cannot bring my self to buy a Taurus for a carry gun ever. I know it did well in that review, but that was 1 type of ammo, and I have never had good luck with a Taurus semi auto.

I am mostly interested in the PPS.

dyl

I've got a 642, an M&P340, and a CM9.

I purchased the CM9 used and it has no issues.
It was just supposed to be an exploration since I'd already bought crimson trace grips for the scandium revolver.

But now I mostly carry the CM9. It's flatter overall (no cylinder) than my revolvers, and I shoot it better. I never did like that non-standard sight picture of the XS dot sight in the revolver.

The trigger is lighter than my j-frames, no overtravel, aggressive checkering in the back strap.

I would handle them in a store, rent and shoot if you can. My used CM9 has a plastic front sight that has survived 2 owners and aftermarket ones are available, but that may spook some.

marine6680

For Pocket carry, smaller is better.

The PPS is one of the bigger compact single stack pistols. It's not really suited well to pocket carry.

The glock 43 isn't either.

I believe the Kahr is one of the smaller 9s you can get.

But is a little extra size isn't a big deal, then the glock is a decent choice, and I like my shield a lot, it shoots soft for a small pistol.

Cosmodragoon

The PPS is superb. It's fairly small, shoots wonderfully, and is perfectly slim for IWB and some other carry methods. It comes with two different magazine sizes, each with a different grip extension length. Sadly, both are a bit much for pocket carry. You really need the flat-bottom magazine to pull off pocket carry and you have to find that separately.

Dirty_Harry

Cost mainly, though as I am researching it isnt a ton more expensive than the CM9.

I am looking to trade my snubby with as little cash out of pocket possible.

Cheapshooter

"Pocket carry"
Of your three choices, Kahe CM9. Smallest of the three, breaded t mine is still a little tight to draw from some pockets. I prefer to carry it IWB in a hybrid type IWB holster.
My pocket gun is a LCP. Truley a pocket pistol.

dean1818

I went through the "stuff a gun" in the front pocket phase..... the CM9 somewhat fits that role, and why I chose that first

But now, I only IWB carry (An great M&P Shield) at this point. (SO much faster to get to and draw)

The Kahr was sold

Try the Tueller drill with pocket carry.......... Not with your hand on the gun, but as you would be normally....

Also, if you have a pistol in the front right pocket....you should ask yourself some questions........What happens if:

- your right hand gets disabled....... (Your not drawing, while IWB draw from weak hand is still possible)
- You find yourself on the ground in a fight (Jumped from behind)........ almost impossible to get into a pocket in that case
- You need your pistol when sitting down (70% of most peoples day)....... The draw is very tough to make happen (Try it)

The speed is hindered at best, and impossible at its worst as its not always possible to walk around with your hand on a pistol in your pocket

To me, pocket carry is a BUG...... to me.... if I were to pocket carry as a BUG, it would be an LCR. Your 642 is a good choice

Draws much easier from a pocket

Most people would never consider carrying a CCW weapon if it FTF/FTE even 3%

in the same manner, think under stress, I believe if someone did 100 pulls
from a pocket, they would not have a smooth pull at least 5-10% of the time...... remember....... under stress

Pocket carry may work for some....... but not for me

Good luck with your choice!

Thats my 2 cents worth... probably not worth that....

Last edited:

Auto5

My brother's search for the smallest, lightest 9mm led him to the Diamondback DB9, but he eventually gave up on it due to reliability and quality issues. He's back to carrying his Kel-Tec PF9. My other brother has the Kahr CM9. He had to send it back to Kahr because it kept breaking the mag followers. It has been 100% since he got it back. Likewise, I had to return my Kimber Solo to the factory before I could get it running right. Of the three, I would probably choose the Shield, but that's just because I'm old fashioned and like a manual safety on my carry guns. The Kahr is probably best suited for pocket carry.

Dirty_Harry

I went through the "stuff a gun" in the front pocket phase..... the CM9 somewhat fits that role, and why I chose that first

But now, I only IWB carry (An great M&P Shield) at this point. (SO much faster to get to and draw)

The Kahr was sold

Try the Tueller drill with pocket carry.......... Not with your hand on the gun, but as you would be normally....

Also, if you have a pistol in the front right pocket....you should ask yourself some questions........What happens if:

- your right hand gets disabled....... (Your not drawing, while IWB draw from weak hand is still possible)
- You find yourself on the ground in a fight (Jumped from behind)........ almost impossible to get into a pocket in that case
- You need your pistol when sitting down (70% of most peoples day)....... The draw is very tough to make happen (Try it)

The speed is hindered at best, and impossible at its worst as its not always possible to walk around with your hand on a pistol in your pocket

To me, pocket carry is a BUG...... to me.... if I were to pocket carry as a BUG, it would be an LCR. Your 642 is a good choice

Draws much easier from a pocket

Most people would never consider carrying a CCW weapon if it FTF/FTE even 3%

in the same manner, think under stress, I believe if someone did 100 pulls
from a pocket, they would not have a smooth pull at least 5-10% of the time...... remember....... under stress

Pocket carry may work for some....... but not for me

Good luck with your choice!

Thats my 2 cents worth... probably not worth that....

I very sparingly pocket carry. Its only for a quick run to the store, wedding, church, wearing gym shorts etc.

80% I have my P2000 IWB.

I decided on the G43 today. The trigger on the CM9 had too much takeup for me. The PPS (normally I like the Euro mag release) mag realease rubbed my middle finger wrong.

Dirty_Harry

I like it a lot. Trigger is a little heavy and the stock sights suck, but it is a Glock. Just need to practice more with it. With the flush fit magazine, it fits in my pocket nicely.

I shoot it a lot better than the G42.

Dirty_Harry

I am a huge advocate of the euro magazine release. I prefer it, however the one on the pps seemed to rub my middle finger constantly. That and it was actually more expensive than the Glock. I may have one someday though.

As for the shield, I know this will sound stupid, but it's too ugly for me. I also would have to find a flush fitting magazine for it to pocket carry.