Single Six Price?

shafter

I've been looking to get a Ruger Single Six recently and am wondering what is considered a good price on the used market. I'd like a 6.5 blued barrel with adjustable sights. It doesn't have to be in pristine condition. Is $300 give or take a few dollars too much? Thats what they seem to be going for in my neck of the woods.
Thanks!

Daryl

That seems to be pretty close to the going price. If you can find one for $250, consider it a great deal on a Single Six in decent shape.

Daryl

Cool_Hand

that sounds about right to me, theres two sitting in my local shop one very good condition for $350, the other had a little wear and was $300

Venom1956

There are piles of Single Sixes used here at Gander Mt. Sigh... most have worn bluing a few with light pitting all around 250 or less, would love a couple but. One I vowed never to buy a firearm from them again. Secondly I promised myself I would pay off my car first.

Grrrr, maybe just a drive there I mean just cause I look at them doesn't mean I need to buy right guys? Right!? :D Yeah just a quick trip.

Only one suggestion here but there [Bold]IS[/Bold] a difference between WORN in and USED up. Check for fanning of the hammer and lockup. Examine the rear or the cylinders see if the firing pin has been hitting it. If your not comfortable with taking it down see if a clerk/gunsmith will do it for you. Mainly because Ruger customer service 'doesn't like' repairing fanning damage for free, if you have problems and need to send it in explain you got it second hand.

Last edited:

powwowell

I've looked at many used Single Sixes. A lot of them were well used and they still wanted $275, $300, $350 and $375 for them. I finally found a Super Single Six, 5 1/2" barrel, at a local gun show and I got it for $350 OTD. It is like new. With both cylinders. A 1989 year model. :D I wish I could have found one in good condition for a lesser price, but I couldn't. I guess the availability of reasonably priced, used Single Sixes depends in what part of the country you live in.

For example: One of the area pawn shops has a Single Six, without the mag cylinder, no box, no paper work, no bluing to speak of (reeked of the smell of cold blue), and one of the grips was split. Traces of rust were visible in one of the chambers!! $270. I offered $100 for it and they were insulted. They then offered to let me have it for $220. As far as I know, they still have it.

CajunBass

I've bought two old models in the last couple of months. Made in 1958, they have some holster wear, but still lock up and function like new. No mag cylinders (the 22 mag wasn't availabe in 1958) and windage adjustable only sights. One had the transfer bar conversion installed, the other is original.

They were asking $275.00 and $300.00. I got them each for $250.00. New models seem to bring more around here for some reason.

100_0078.jpg

1-UP

I keep watching for a decently priced Single Six. Good/Great condition ones pop up from time to time for $300, but I only see them at that every 2-3 months and it's always a bit too far of a drive for me to justify (Over an hour, pushing 2 usually). I can get them new whenever I want for something like $425 but I refuse to pay that much for one.

If I saw one locally for $300 in 90% or better shape, I'd probably pick it up if I had the money around and consider it a fairly good deal.

Rifleman1776

Whatever you do, you will be happy with it. The Ruger SS is a great gun. I voted it as the one I would want if I could have only one handgun. I got mine in the 1970s and love it. BTW, I believe the mag. cylinder (and cartridge) is pretty useless. Only time I used it was at my farm with shot cartridges for snakes.

highvel

I had one with the magnum cylinder about fifteen years ago or so. I loved the fit, feel and the smoothness of the action but that one would not shoot worth a darn.
No matter what ammo LR or Mag she just would not shoot, so I traded her for about $200 in reloading equipment. That girl was not the norm at all , I've shot others that shot really well.
I've been looking for another one at a good price but no luck yet.