Single-Six: Blued or Stainless?

CZ_

As a corrolary to this thread, I thought I'd get the opinions as to which frame material/finish is more popular on Single-Six's....blued or stainless? Instead of a poll, I'll just have you all post your responses (polls sometimes limit discussion).

Also, which do you prefer on a Single-Six: fixed or adjustable sights?

For me, I prefer stainless with adjustable sights. That is what my current single-six is.

629 shooter

I like stainless mainly for the fact that they are equipped with steel grip frames unlike the blued version with the aluminum grip. Unless you opt for the Bisley which is equipped with a blued steel grip frame.

On a 22 handgun or any handgun for that matter I like adjustable sights. My Sig which is the only handgun that I own that is equipped with fixed sights.

J Miller

I currently have a 6.5" OM SS6. That would be blued of course.
I don't mind the aluminum grip frames, that puts all the weight out front, not in my hand.
Stainless would be a bit easier to take care of, but it's not that big of a deal to me.
Adjustable sights; ABSOLUTLY.
Not that I ever adjust them, except for sighting in. But they give a much better sight picture. And with my middle aged eyes, all help is apprectiated.

CZ_

I like stainless mainly for the fact that they are equipped with steel grip frames unlike the blued version with the aluminum grip.

Just out of curiousity, what is it about the aluminum grips and ejector rod housings that some people dislike? Is it concerns over durability?

Or is it that the weight is less?

Both? Other reasons?

WIL TERRY

GENTLEMEN, THE CORRECT ANSWER TO THIS QUESTION IS:

BOTH.
The SS version is too dang heavy for a 22 sixgun to be and the blue one is more carryable, as it were. With that being said the SS guns are mighty good in the outback where there's no finish to wear off or rust.
The blue single sixes just look like a traditional SA sixgun should look but they require more care.
IN EITHER CASE THE ADJUSTABLE SIGHTS ARE THE WAY TO GO!

With that outburst over I will admit there ain't nuttin better than fixed sights, IF they're fixed in the right place; alas, damn few are..

johnbt

OM, blue, fixed, 5.5", convertible. Of course, that's what I have. Made in '72. Over the years I've often thought about buying a Super Single Six with a 6.5" barrel, but haven't. (I did eventually buy a Kimber Stainless Gold Match to satisfy the urge to buy a stainless gun with adjustment screws on the rear sight.)

The only thing better than fixed sights fixed in the right place is a 2-pound factory trigger like mine to go with them :) The actual digital measurement was 2 pounds and 7/10ths of an ounce.

Gun buyer's, or gun trader's, rule number one - when you get a gun that shoots straight...keep it.

John

629 shooter

Just out of curiousity, what is it about the aluminum grips and ejector rod housings that some people dislike? Is it concerns over durability?

Or is it that the weight is less?

I don't have any concerns about durability. In my thinking the proper material for a revolver is steel. Also appearance - take a look at blued Blackhawk or Single Six. The aluminum grip frames on most do not even come close to matching the steel components in appearance. Personally I do not care for that look. Some of the aluminum grip frames Ruger produces these days look almost toyish.

As far as weight I don't consider a stainless Single to be too heavy for a 22 revolver. Much lighter than the K-Frame S&W I owned with the full lug barrel.