Single Six and a Navy? My mom My

ZVP

I was handling both revolvers and really noticed their similar handling characteristicshhnweight and overall size is very similar!
I wonder if Bill Ruger did that on purpose?

rodwhaincamo

Good question. According to Harry Sefried, an engineer hired in 1959 to Sturm and an avid BP enthusiast who worked closely with Bill who also loved BP guns, designed his Bearcat from the Remington Pocket (Police or .31?), as well as the work done on the ROA. I could see him looking at other guns from the past and working things into his designs.

ZVP

Didn't know Bill Ruger was a BP fan!
I can see how his designed reflect the BP era.
I have heard the Bearcat/Remingtonstory before it makes sense
The Bearcathas always seemed too small for me to grab and draw fast.
I was considering the new personal protection Bearcat but tried one at a shop and too small again .
I ordered a Navy Remington .36 but it was also a very small grip to trigger Size.that gun had internal issues and was returned.
Dave

draw

rodwhaincamo

Bill loved the Rogers and Spencer according to the book, which you can see some designs borrowed for his Old Army. I always thought it looked a lot like the Remington New Model Army but once it was pointed out I can see a bit of both.

Looking at the Bearcat it looks like a modern single action version of the Remington Pocket.

Wish there were more makes offered as reproductions such as the R&S.

bamaranger

Bill and the Ruger Old Army

I've got an old magazine article that printed an interview with Bill Ruger, done not to long before his death. His comments on the ROA went something like this.......

"...it's not selling well these days, but we'll keep making it as long as I have any say in the matter..." or words to that effect.