Single Six .22 Mag

Ifishsum

My buddy has an older single six (3 screw) marked ".22 caliber". He has always used it with .22LR ammo, but the other day I shot it and had 2 split cases, the rest were substantially bulged. The cylinder has no markings and is fluted, but it sure looks like .22 mag chambers to me.

I'm thinking that if .22WMR fits into the cylinder easily, then that's about all it could be, right? I don't want to steer him wrong but since .22WMR is larger brass than .22LR, it shouldn't fit into a LR chamber so it must be the mag cylinder.

Please tell me if I'm forgetting something....

Another question, assuming the above is true would he also be able to use .22WRF ammo?

James K

Member In Memoriam
The gun was probably sold originally with two cylinders, which is why it is marked only as .22 caliber. I would assume the .22 LR cylinder has become misplaced and the cylinder now in the gun is .22 Magnum.

You are correct; if .22 Magnum fits the chambers, that is the right caliber. The .22 Magnum won't fit in the .22 LR chamber.

If your buddy bought the gun new, I suggest he look around for the other cylinder. If he can't find it, return the gun and cylinder to Ruger and they will not only fit a new .22 LR cylinder but also update the gun with the new transfer bar system, making it safer. I may be wrong, but I think the latter service is free. The cylinder will probably cost something, but the cost difference in ammo will soon make up for that.

Jim

Ifishsum

Thanks Jim. This came up because he wanted to get a .22 mag cylinder for it, and upon inspection it looks like that's what he has and never knew it. His mom gave him the gun, she had it for many years and she doesn't even remember where she got it.

20cows

I bought a three-screw single six at a gun show that only had the 22 mag cylinder. I acquired a 22 LR cylinder on e-bay. It dropped right in and I use the LR cylinder most of the time, (or more properly, my son does).

It's a great little gun that is training him properly to handle my Uberti .45 Colt.