single shots: Browning? Ruger?

eastbank

i have and shoot both and i find that amoung my rifles the browning-winchesters were(less picky) easier to find a good load for than the rugers, but i have a ruger #3 in 45-70 that shoots lights out with just about any loads tried. seven rugers-five winchester-brownings. eastbank.

WV_gunner

I wish I could I had experience with Rugers but the only single shot rifles I've messed with are H&R/NEF. I can't tell you how close they group but they are plenty good enough to hunt with. I have currently a plain synthetic stock gun and a limited edition. The limited edition is by far the nicest gun I own.

SaxonPig

They are all good. I'm partial to the Ruger because I find it one of the most beautiful rifles ever made.

standard.jpg

oldscot3

I have both and have found them capable of matching the accuracy of nearly any hunting class bolt action although they have been a bit more challenging to find loads they like consistently than my bolt guns. Emphasis on consistently.

When you get there though, there is something extremely satisfying about locking the vault on a round and sending it downrange with a single shot. My Ruger just somehow inspires confidence when you hear that block of steel snap shut. As mentioned above, they are typically quite beautiful as well. A pleasure to gaze at while sitting and waiting for game to start moving.

fourbore

For accuracy I had much better luck with Winchester/Borwning/Mirko 1885. I have the 45/70, and it shoots much better than my Ruger in same weight and barrel lenght. I would not hesistate to pick one of these in any 243, 6.5mm, 7mm type of round.

I prefer the look and feel of the Ruger and for something like a 45/70 this is IMHO a nice gun. And I am keeping mine issues and all.

If accuracy is first priority, the 1885 is obvious choice and it is NOT all the same. Both look the part of a classic single shot. other choices either cost a small fortune or look much more modern.

The 1885 is all rimfire right now! STUPID, beyond belief! Lets hope once they dump all these then some sensible options are again available. I see the market remains flooded with unsold trappers, another idea, that I just dont get. In the past been some very nice 1885, either big bore or modern high velocity.

Wyosmith

I have had quite a lot of experience with both the Browning Single shots and the Ruger #1s.

I have seen a lot of the older Rugers that would not shoot very well, but most were made in the 70s and early 80s. Ruger used to buy their barrel blanks and sometimes they got "lemons". Some shot super well and others shot "about full choke".
Brownings on the other hand usually shoot well, but seldom what I would call super well. A bit over MOA is average.

I own a #1 in 9.3X74R that is a real joy. I got lucky with it. It holds well under 1-1/2" with every bullet I have tried and with some loads I tried it holds them into 5/8". Far better than is needed for the game I hunt with it.

I also used to own a #1 in 270 Winchester that shot 3 shots into 3/4" on demand, every time. I sold it and that was one I regret letting go.

All the bad ones I have dealt with were because of poor barrels. In every case that I have re-barreled a #1 and in 2 cases where I rebarreled Brownings the result was a sub-MOA shooter. There is much banter on the net about the forend hangers and so on, but I have found that the bore quality is the first concern.

If you get a good one (most new ones are good) you will get a good shooter. If it won't shoot well it is not a bad idea to call Ruger or Browning and let them know, but what I say is "accurate" and what they say is accurate may differ. If you send back a rifle that shoots 2" they are likely to say its good enough. Some will only shoot 5-6 inches and they will usually rebarrel those for you.

If you are looking for a bench-rest rifle you are likely to not be satisfied with either one, but if you want a rifles that will hit coins at 100 yards both can and often do shoot that well.

snowman748

Have you looked at CVA or Thompson/Center at all? Not sure of your budget but CVA makes some really nice single shots for the budget minded person in the Scout V2 or you can go the Apex route and have the ability to change calibers and barrels whenever you like...

I've heard a lot of great things about CVA (note I've never actually owned one myself)

You might also look at Thompson/Center, these are also Very nice rifles that give you the ability to change calibers whenever you want and have a long history of making great rifles...

Not sure what your budget is but just something to think about...

jrhilde

I've been lucky enough to own five different Ruger#1's-- two in 06, two in 45-70 and a 1B in .204---one of the 30-06's was super accurate and the .204 was unbelievable---one of the 45-70's was 1 1/2 at 100, but the others were very average, not consistant ----my one Browning B78, in 06 was also just average, 1 t0 3 inches at 100--- wish I had kept the .204, one of the most accurate rifles I ever owned and great to have had it in a #1----and yes, the barrels have improved greatly---ever notice how many safari photos of the kill will show a number one leaning on the dead critter? Those hunters want a strong dependable rifle that will fire every time and built to take maximum loads--- John

44 AMP

Staff
I have 3 Ruger No.3s and a No.1, as well as T/C Contenders. I do wonder why anyone is concerned about group size with a Single Shot rifle???

I like the look of the Browning/WIN single shot, but have found that the "period correct" stocks are a miserable fit for me. Call me whatever you like, I passed on a lovely Browning in .45-70 because a skinny, crescent butt is NOT want I want on a rifle.

Your choice, of course.

fourbore

I like the look of the Browning/WIN single shot, but have found that the "period correct" stocks are a miserable fit for me. Call me whatever you like, I passed on a lovely Browning in .45-70 because a skinny, crescent butt is NOT want I want on a rifle.

Man you got that right. My 85 in 45/70 has pistol grip and shopgun butt which is both period correct and comfortable. The crescent is a newbie mistake. I was a newbie once, it HURTS! Literally.

Most of the 85's come with a straight stock and a rubber pad. Some like you say, crescent, must be pretty darn uncomfortable to shoot. The rubber pad seems very functional, but; I like what I got a lot more. Ruger got that right (except the No3)

As for CVA, it is not very much on looks and for what it is - I would prefer a used H&R.

44 AMP

Staff
I wonder why you'd wonder? Are you saying there's no reason to expect much?

No, I'm saying that its a single shot, and where it puts shots 2,3,4,5,etc. is way less important than where it puts shot # 1.

I'm not saying its useless info, just that one shouldn't obsess about it. I've got a Ruger No.3 in .45-70 (with a nice thick ventilated recoil pad on it) that I always considered a good shooter, meaning I always hit what I aimed at, and when I didn't it was clearly my fault.

Did shoot a group with it once, 50yds 3 shots 2.5x Post scope, two overlapping holes 3rd one a bit less than an inch away, and most likely my fault.

If it were a magazine fed repeater, where I might actually get a 2nd or third shot at a game animal, I'd be much more concerned with group size. With a single shot, not so much. But then, that's just me.

kcub

Ok, how about cold bore groups? If it won't hit very close to the same spot with a cold bore its just not a very good rifle and range is needlessly limited.

How much time has to be wasted between shots to be considered cold bore? I used to have a thin barrel Weatherby 30-06 that was good for a 3 shot ragged hole group. So I don't put much stock in this cold bore logic.

dgludwig

I've had a Browning/Miroku 1885 Low Wall s/s, chambered in .223 since 2001 and a Ruger No.1V, Varmint model, chambered in .220 Swift since 1995. Though I use them both for chuck hunting, they are configured very differently. I take the little Low Wall walking and use the heavy Ruger as a "sniper" rifle. Though the Browning, equipped with a Burris 3X9 Compact scope, is plenty accurate; the No. 1, fitted with a B&L 4X12 scope, is the most accurate (with factory Hornady ammunition) of any of the many rifles that I own, irrespective of action type.

snowman748

CVA

H&R (now owned by Remington) no longer sells barrels for interchanging calibers, not to mention they had a terrible time on QC with some calibers like 35 Whelen, there are reports all over the web about how the H&R rifles were hit or miss...

CVA on the other hand seem to have their stuff together and are making accurate, reliable single shots at a very reasonable price, not to mention the come ready for a scope from the factory in most cases...

just my two cents though...

kcub

Question about the Winchester 1885 low wall, tell me they haven't let the lawyers ruin it with a superfluous safety like their lever guns.

SaxonPig

I doubt that any of my #1s are capable of match grade accuracy but then neither am I. I think they shoot well enough to suit me.

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

DaveShooter

CVA All The Way For Me !!!!

I've had a lot of TC's in all kinds of Cal's through the years- An yes they were all awesome shooters. But I got hooked onto the stainless CVA Scout V2 in 44 mag an the CVA Apex in 45/70 along with a 45 cal an a 50 cal ML barrels made by Bergera and I tell ya what those rifles are shooters all the way around.Gonna hunt with either the Scout v2 this Deer season coming up in Ohio next week or the CVA Apex in 45/70 with a 325 grain Hornady Lever-lu-tion round- A tac-Driver any day of the week..... Get ya a CVA an don't look back- Awesome Customer service too.

Clark

I have the Uberti 1885 [best for the money]
The Winchester 1885 [antique]
the Browning 1885 [accurate and slick]
The Ruger #1. [hammerless and fast shooting with the ejector]

They are all so good, that you can't go wrong.

ClarksMuleBuckd10-30-2014-1.jpg

Browning 1885 7mmRemMag

257RobertsAckleyimprovedrimmed1885fallingblockrifltbuiltinOct2012andused10-25-2012.jpg

Uberti 1885 257 Roberts Ackley Rimmed

Ruger1bipod.jpg

Ruger #1 7mmRemMag

Winchester%201885%2045-70%20%203-4-2015.jpg

Winchester 1885 45/70