Single shot rifle - cheap ones

warbirdlover

I'd like one but can't afford the Winchester, Ruger #1 (drool), TC (overpriced, ugly looking guns). I'm thinking Rossi or H & R. Any one good?

lefteyedom

H&R good

The NEF/H&R are good rifles.

They are not in the Ruger class. That said, for general hunting at reasonable ranges they are fine. I have had a couple of 45/70 over the years and have been happy with them. I tend to horse trade them off for other stuff.

duckman3279

Can't go wrong with the NEF/H&R guns. Preety inexpensive and shoot pretty well. I am actually thinking about one in 22-250 just to have a good truck gun for bustin some yote's.

RangerHAAF

I agree with the above posts; the NEF-Handi Rifle is the cheapest, the T-C Encore Hunter is the most adaptable and diverse; the Ruger #1 is the most consistently accurate out of the box. I've got one on layaway now.

Last edited:

aarondhgraham

I own two H&R single-shot rifles,,,

They are very well built guns,,,
Mine are in .22 LR and .357 Magnum.

Both rifles have more inherent accuracy than I can utilize.

Besides, it's fun to eject the spent cartridge back over your shoulder,,,
I've taught the people at my range not to hover behind me.

Seriously though,,,
Very nice performing rifles.

HR-Both.jpg

Top is the .357 Handi-Rifle,,,
Bottom is the .22 LR Sportster,,,
I'm considering one more is a long range caliber.

JKump

I have had my NEF (H&R) 308 Survivor for about 5 years now. I have had zero complaints. This rifle has put the deer down, every thing from 10 yards out to 280 yards. ;)

Attachments

• My Ol' Hunting Rifle.jpg
    My Ol' Hunting Rifle.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 105

Bamashooter

i have a H&R Handi-rifle in .243. Topped off with a burris ff2 3x9 scope. Folks can say whatever they want but it gets the job done very well. Sub-moa with 100gr. remington cor-lokt ammo. Sure, a thompson or a ruger is more pleasing to the eye, but if you want a cheap rifle that is accurate i dont think you will be disappointed with the handi-rifle.As far as rossi goes, i have a .17HMR with a cheap 3x9 scope on it and it shoots great groups. I have less than 200 dollars in the rossi and scope and its a bonified one ragged hole shooter. I am living proof that you dont have to spend alot of money for accurate, dependable firearms.

hootey

The most Acrit weapon I have ever fired, was a H & R Ultra 25-06. Off a bench at 100yds, five rounds touching (if ya let the barrel cool between shots ). Had an Elite 4x to 16x on it I believe. Great weapon, it belonged to a friend of mine. I woould recommend H&R and NEF, by all means......:)

Ozzieman

I thought that H&R single rifles were cheep crap, (yea I am that stupid) until a friend picked one up in 44 mag. With the same bullet and load it will out shoot my Ruger 77/44 at 100 yards.
Trigger needs a little work on his gun but he has taken over 10 deer with it in the last two seasons.

Trigger Time

I own four Handi's. And I didn't buy them for their looks. High performance rifles at a more than fair price. I have never owned a Rossi, but they don't offer accessory barrels- this may or may not be a factor for you.

There are a lot of guys out there doing really cool stuff with Handi's.

Many people dismiss them because of their price point, or the fact that they are single shots. I seldom need a followup shot, and when I do it's never my Handi's fault.

isnipe

I've had very good luck with my Rossi .223/20ga. combo. These rifles are pretty accurate and very well built. and under 1000$ haha;)

collector rob

I have a sportster .17hmr, and a handirifle 30-30/ 20 gauge combo. Both are great guns. I've been tempted lately by their .45colt Buffalo Classic.

Poodleshooter

The H&Rs are neat rifles. The triggers aren't anything special, but you can buy the entire rifle for less than the cost of a T/C barrel,and accuracy is pretty decent.
With a slicked up trigger,and a good set of factory matched barrels, you could have a fairly versatile rig for very little money.
A friend has one in 45/70. It kicks like a mule.

Kreyzhorse

I don't own one but my buddy owns a H&R 30.06. We've both used it to hunt with and I've found it to be accurate and reliable. I wouldn't hestitate to buy one if I was in the market for an inexpensive single shot.