Single-feeding the M1A/M14?

Battler

Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Is there a good technique for top-feeding a single round into the gun? Preferably with the magazine in place (so the holdopen will stop it slamming home without a shell).

It looks like racking the extractor down on a round is kind of bad.

Pushing a round into the mag from directly above - does this damage the feed lips? I know this is how it's done with strippers; but they keep the round centered, not pushing against the lips - and being scoped now, I can't use stripper clips anyway.

Thanks,
Battler.

kgs

Battler,

I am very used to single loading my M1A because the range I frequent allows, you guessed it, single load only. Anyway, with the mag inserted, just push one round in and let the bolt fly forward. I have never damaged any of my magazines by doing this and I don't feel the potential for damage even exists. Hope this helps! :cool:

kgs.

Dave P

...single load only

kgs - do I feel sorry for you! Where is that range anyway? Is this a safety issue?

kgs

Dave,

I live in Michigan and the range, more specifically, is located in the city of Lake Orion. It's regulated by the Michigan Dept. of Natural Resources and they just don't allow loading mags with more than one round and therefore the rapid fire that would ensue. I think it is most definitely a safety issue. I can see their point though. I can imagine the mayhem that could occur with 25-30 people letting loose with their semi-auto's. (especially if they are inexperienced shooters.) Plus, they usually have just one range master on duty to keep an eye on things. Don't get me wrong, I am definitely not an opponent of letting the brass fly, :D but for a state mediated facility, single load is probably the best policy.

kgs.

echo3mike

Yeah..what kgs said

Loading a single round into the mag through the reciever is a common practice with those of us who (still) shoot the M14 / M1A in Highpower rifle events. It's not that different from loading the mag outside of the rifle...

Except for that pesky bolt slamming home on your digits. THAT"LL clear your sinuses!

Word of caution: don't EVER, EVER, load a round directly into the chamber and let the bolt fly home. The bolt is under quite a bit of tension and, without the mag to compensate with the drag it produces, will cause a slamfire. This in turn can cause greivous damage to property and self. Not to mention serious loss of quality points!

Regards,
S.

kgs

echo3mike,

Great point you bring up with the slam-fire situation.
Somewhere in my Springfield Armory manual they make a statement concerning that very issue about using the magazine to chamber a round instead of chambering the round by hand.
The bolt does need some resistance from the mag.

kgs.

Battler

You guys advocating putting that round in with the thumb or fingers?

With the thumb I would figure holding the charging handle back with the rest of the hand, garand-style, right?

kgs

Yep, just use your thumb to push in the round. There is no need to hold the op. rod like HankL said because The op. rod will not spring forward when you press the round into the mag. Once the round is in the mag and you are ready to fire, pull the op. rod back slightly to release the bolt catch, then let go - the bolt will slam home and you are ready to rock.

kgs.

Steve Smith

Battler...PLEASE be careful when you first start learning this...M-1 thumb was famous, but an M-14 will break your thumb! Yes, what has already been described is correct, but be careful.

echo3mike

Yeah, the bolt can and will slam foward and yes, you can load w/ just the thumb. However, take a moment to look at something a little safer.

To load an M1 with it's enblock clip, most instructors say to push the clip into the reciever with the right hand while using the fingers, (out straight like your saluting), up against the op rod to keep the bolt from slamming home. Of course the fingers are on the outside of the reciever, up against the op rod handle.

It's fairly easy with a little practice.

Sorry about the multiple edits: trying to talk to the fiancee about the wedding. Of course I'ld rather talk rifles. Oh, well...

Regards,
S.