Single Action interchangeability? [Good, B & U]

jmstr

I just got finished watching The Good, The Bad And The Ugly for the upteenth time. One scene finally struck me, in terms of "is that possible, or is that Milan [it IS a 'spaghetti western']". There is a scene where Tuko [the ugly] is 'assembling' a revolver from a Remington, a Colt and a Smith & Wesson. [I forgot if there was another one in there]

The first thought I had was, "Did S & W even exist during the Civil War?" The second one was about how likely it was that he could take a barrel assembly off one pistol, a cylinder off another, and the trigger/grip assembly off a third, assemble them and make them work with each other. Forget the issue of how smoothly they worked together, as well as the likelyhood of ANYONE splitting targets in half with a length-wise shot from the hip. Those I will dismiss as pure movie 'magic'.

I just don't know much about 1860s revolver companies or technology, so don't know if that was feasible. From the shadowy amount I seem to recall about 1864 revolver technology, I also wonder how likely it was that these firearms used brass cartridges instead of either the cloth bags or having to measure them oneself, and dip the cylinder in parrafin to keep it ready to fire. Like I said, I know very little about 1860s weapons technology, with the exception of being aware that the repeating rifle WAS used in limited numbers during the war. [as for what name for the war, I'll let some of you argue about that!].

If any of you could help me clear things up, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Jim Watson

I'll put it more strongly; pure movie nonsense, just not actively anti gun like more recent productions.

Smith & Wesson was only making .22 Short revolvers during most of the War. Maybe a few officers got the new in 1865 .32 rimfires before the end of the War. Neither one would be of much interest in a cavalry troop.

It's magic!

Movie magic for enjoyment. Saw 'em when I was a kid and to this day I still love those movies.

Cartridge revolvers were predominantly small bore items not used by the military during our quaint family fued (more Americans died in it than any other war). The military used cap 'n ball revolvers and something shortly after the war, many of these guns were converted to cartridge guns.

As for taking apart and reassembling a mess o' guns, it can be done, but not with the speed and ease Tuco performed this magical movie feat. Hey Blondieeeeee!