Singer 1911 on Gunbroker

Sevens

Did anyone watch the Sunday night fireworks for the Singer 1911 in Gunbroker?

Auction opened two weeks ago (I think?) with no reserve, but $40,000 opening bid. Ended last night at $85,025. It wasn't a top condition Singer, but it still attracted a little bidding war. I have heard that one sold some time ago for over $400,000. :eek:

I hope folks will post on this subject so I can learn more about them.

James K

Member In Memoriam
This is one of those cases where anyone wanting to buy or bid on the gun has to deal with a seller with a firm address and a guaranteed return policy. I have seen two (2) genuine (as far as I could tell) examples, and at least a dozen or more fakes. Fortunately, most of the fakes are rather poor quality and pretty obvious to anyone with experience in WWII M1911A1 pistols. But those folks are getting thin on the ground today, and with more money chasing fewer available guns; widespread fraud is not only predictable, but almost a certainty.

Jim

Sevens

Well...
This one had personalization initials stamped in it, which obviously hurts the collectible value -BUT- at the same time, it is a known gun in the circle of folks who really know these pistols and this time it was being offered by a seller with a known history as well.

RickB

People who responded to a similar thread on 1911forum were not aware of that particular gun, 383.
As the Greatest Generation continues to decline in numbers, there will certainly be more authentic Singers appearing, and just as certainly, more fake ones.
It will be interesting to see if any CMP Singers appear.