Simply Rugged as an IWB holster

TennJed

Did a little searching and while finding a good many post on Simply Rugged (most being very positive) I didn't find a lot on the specific IWB carry with the straps. Seems most carry them OWB

I am looking for a IWB and OWB holster for my Kimber Solo. I would probably carry it IWB a little more often, but I figure as small as the Kimber is OWB would be feasible a pretty good amount of time also.

This holster would be great since it accomplishes both. My question is how satisfied are owners when switching to IWB? It seems the design is a OWB design and I wonder how the comfort, retention, and conceal-ability is when adding the straps and converting to IWB.

I understand some may want to point me to their favorite IWB only holster, but please keep this to users opinions on the Simply Rugged or another brand of OWB/IWB convertible holsters

Poindexter

I have a simply rugged pancake. I love it. One of the two best holsters I have ever owned in my life, the other being my Mernickle.

I tote a Redhawk in my simply rugged. To wear it IWB I think I would want a second holster cuase the curve on the one I carry OWB doesn't fit into my pants quite right.

Might not be an issue with a smaller lighter gun.

9ballbilly

I use Simply rugged pancake holsters for both of my Snub-nose revolvers, Charter arms .44spl bulldog and .32 mag. undercoverette. IMO they are very good holsters well worth the price, although I have a set of IWB straps for them I always carry OWB. Even here in the Florida heat either gun conceals well with just cargo shorts and an untucked T-shirt. As much as I like them for OWB carry, I suspect there are other holsters that would be more comfortable IWB.

jr24

I have carried 1911's in the SR pancake holsters, I really like them. Though the second one I bought (For a railed 1911) is a much more... floppy... leather (I can't recall if I chose that on purpose) which is far more comfy IWB, but requires 2 hands to holster (Not an issue for me).

They also are fantastic for OWB as well, especially for lugging large frame revolvers in the woods.

Pond James Pond

Like those before me I can say that I have a S-R holster for my 4" Redhawk.

When I am in the forest I carry it OWB. I have the IWB straps and tried it out once, but the guns people often carry in these holsters make IWB a bit tougher and the holster walls are also thick, making it even harder to wear IWB. You'd have to wear baggy trousers!!

Then there is the shape and its stiff structure. Basically it is doable, but not ideal. I can't imagine wear it IWB with any regularity, but doesn't mean it can't be done.

KyJim

I have the smaller, "Silver Dollar" pancake style holster for my Colt Agent. With the straps, it does not ride low enough IWB for me. That, together with my ample "love handles" makes it feel like the holster wants out of my pants. Perhaps a longer barreled gun (and their bigger holster) would ride better IWB.

I do like the holster for OWB carry. I only got the straps for occasional IWB use.

BarryLee

I had the same experience great OWB, but just didn’t work IWB. The gun is a 2.5” S&W revolver and the straps just didn’t seem to hold it secure enough. I’ll be totally honest and admit I only tried it one time, so who knows maybe with a little more tweaking I could have made it work. However, I bought it primarily as an OWB and since it holds the gun pretty close to the body I just never saw the need for IWB.

JimmyR

I'm about to find out

I ordered a S-R Sourdough Pancake for my 3" K frame, and ordered the staps for IWB use. I'm kinda glad TennJedd asked this question. I'll give my review once I get my holster in (2-3 Weeks)

JimmyR

So I got my holster in the mail yesterday, and spent a few hours trying it out.

I have to admit, it took me way too long to figure out how to use the IWB straps.

Once I got it set up right, I tried it out both IWB and OWB with my S&W M65 3". The holster was very comfortable in both configurations, and while it was easy to conceal on my belt, it absolutely vanished when IWB. I'm glad I spent the extra $15 on the IWB straps- very much worth it.

jr24

Glad it worked. I really like SR gear, I've used the chesty puller system more than a few times for snow-machining out on the tundra since my coveralls don't generally make belt guns accessible. Also I've been using their belt for... 4 years now daily, still strong and holds up my pants AND CCW just fine.