Simple single shot satisfaction

stagpanther

I bought this CVA single shot hunter in 444 marlin a few years ago--as I recall it was around $200 and features a bergara-made barrel, I thought what's there to lose? Found a half-empty box of hornady superformance cartridges featuring their 265 interlock, they stopped making it some time ago (much to my disappointment as it was one of the best .429 bullets out there IMO). I paired the the rifle with an equally budget redfield scope that I paid $89 for.

Set up target at 258 yds--took a couple of shots to find the target and then shot 2 X 4 shot groups; the first was about 3" and this was the second. A classic bargain rig, every now and then you can get lucky.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• IMG_9606.jpg
    IMG_9606.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 249
  • Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-16 18:01:07.402066.jpg
    Ballistic-X-Export-2023-08-16 18:01:07.402066.jpg
    215.1 KB · Views: 238

ammo.crafter

three little pigs

The .444 Marlin is one of my favorite calibers for deer, bear and moose.

Good luck with it.

I'm a single shot hunter as well.

stagpanther

The kick is similar to a 45-70, but I find it easier to hold down and often can see the fall of the shot. I have several CVA guns and they are budget "diamonds in the rough" (though my paramount muzzle-loader is quite expensive) I think reflecting Bergara's involvement with their manufacture. Sadly, it appears that CVA has discontinued the hunter in favor of the higher priced Scout.

An advantage of break-open single shots is that you are not necessarily limited in the types of bullets and OAL that you might otherwise be when using a lever or magazine fed rifle.

Last edited: