Simple old style slings?

Wyosmith

Remember back in the 60s and 70s when you got a rifle from Sears or even Winchester, many of them came with a very simple sling strap? Those slings were just a long piece of 1" wide leather and has a loop on one end, close by a few sex screws, and they came back on the strap with a double loop slider to adjust for length and form the 2nd loop.

Does anyone still make those old style sling straps?

I always preferred the double loop 1907 style US Military slings for all my rifles, but on the old classics of European styling, the simple metal slider type slings are wonderful, and very easy to adjust for length.

Don Fischer

Remember back in the 60s and 70s when you got a rifle from Sears or even Winchester, many of them came with a very simple sling strap? Those slings were just a long piece of 1" wide leather and has a loop on one end, close by a few sex screws, and they came back on the strap with a double loop slider to adjust for length and form the 2nd loop.

Does anyone still make those old style sling straps?

I always preferred the double loop 1907 style US Military slings for all my rifles, but on the old classics of European styling, the simple metal slider type slings are wonderful, and very easy to adjust for length.

That sling will work like a military sling. Military slings and copy's of them are all I'll use!

cw308

Wyosmith
The old style slings were perfect . l like the military 11/4" olive green clamp adjustable slings . that's all I use , easy to adjust & carry's well .

ocharry

i too like and use the 107 sling,,,but i have a mountain shooter sling that i really like,,it is nylon web and has a cuff built in,,,it is a very handy and nice sling

have you looked at brownells slings,,seem i remember they had something similar

just a thought

ocharry

emcon5

That kind of looks like what came with my 1916 Spanish Mauser, except mine doesn't have the frog.

done_left_sling_s.jpg

jmr40

They ain't cheap, but the Montana sling is about the same and is very high quality. I have 2. I initially ordered the 1 1/2" sling, and later the 1 1/4" version. I like the narrow version much better.

They make a 1" version that sells for under $30, but it does not come with swivels. Never tried that one, but it might be an option too.

They are intended to have the loop at the top as an aid when offhand shooting. I prefer to carry mine with the loop at the bottom so I have rough leather next to my shoulder. It prevents slippage.

http://www.montanagunslings.com/

emcon5

Emcon, those look just right
Thanks

Very Welcome.

Yeah, they are pretty close, only thing missing is the keeper/frog, but at that price you can buy an extra and make as many frogs as you will ever need.

T. O'Heir

Triple K Military Sling runs $35.99 at Cabela's.
Bought some ratchet tie downs at a local supermarket for a buck(Cdn) each that have 15 feet of 1" nylon strapping. That'll sew into a cheap sling easily. You can't buy 15' of 1" nylon strapping for a buck. You absolutely cannot buy 15" of 1" wide leather strap for a buck.
And 1600 x 314 pixels is too big.

bamaranger

old slings

That sling on the 1950's rifle could be a Lawrence, or a Bucheimer, I have an example of each. I had the Bucheimer is fitted with detach swivels and will snap on any rifle with studs. The Lawrence is attached to an heirloom rifle with sling shackles, and I won't change it.

One source for the old slings is Ebay. You can prowl around there and bid on what strikes your fancy. I have also fashioned simple carry straps using the green web slings from SKS and Mosin rifles, by fitting a metal slider and sewing a leather keeper loop, and adding detach swivels to either end. Not as nice as leather, but practical.

Finally, a decent leather carry strap is available from Brownells (or used to be) called the "Latigo Sling". I have one of these and it is very classic in appearance, but a bit short for me length wise in heavy clothing. It came on a used rifle.....but I think the slings sell in two lengths and two colors.

flashhole

Go to eBay and type in Hunter sling. Hunter is the brand name. Simple leather and brass construction. I have 5 of them.