Simmons Scopes? Aetec?

Tucker 1371

My grandfather has a Ruger Mk77 in .22 hornet with this Simmons Aetec 3-9x scope on it and it is an absolute tack driver. The scope is great, crystal clear, and looks nice to boot. I actually couldn't tell much difference in quality between it and the Leupold he has on his A-Bolt (not sure which model that scope is though).

What I want to know is why Simmons scopes receive so little mention. Is the scope sitting on top of my grandfather's gun the exception to the rule? Are they really low quality glass and we just happened to get one that works well?

All I know for sure is that it is INFINITELY superior to the Tasco he has on another rifle.

Tucker 1371

Chinese Wally World junk?

Have yet to see one at my Wally World... I've seen plenty of Tascos there though and (gasp) a Leupold (locked in a glass display case of course).

The one we got is really a great scope, has yet to lose it's zero after about 3 years of occaisional shooting and a really bumpy ride in the back seat of my truck.

What specific quality and/or performace defects are they known for? Are they constructed out of pot metal? The one we have works so well, especially compared to the Tasco we have, it just seems like a shame to put them in the same category.

emcon5

For what it's worth, I have had a Simmons Whitetail Classic 6.5 X 20 50 on my flattop AR for about which has been perfectly reliable for over 10 years. IIRC it was a closeout I picked up for about $100.

bedlamite

Simmons makes a lot of their scopes in the Philippines, and they are definitely better than the Chinese made scopes.

Hawg

I've got an old Simmons 44 mag 6.5X20 and it's been a really good scope for many years. I had a Pro Hunter 50 and while it was a decent scope it wasn't near the scope the 44 mag is.

Palmetto-Pride

The Simmons Aetec is there top scope and its the only one I would put on anything more than a rimfire. I have had a few Simmons in the past and they don't compare to Leupold's. In my opinion most Simmons are good for air/rimfires, but not much more.

Sportdog

All my centerfire rifles wear Simmons scopes, two Pro Hunters, three Whitetail Classics, and one Aetec. Only the Aetec is made in China and all of them have given me years of service with no problems. I'm sure that the quality of them is way short of the high end glass but they work for me and I don't have a fortune wrapped up in them. I don't just hunt. I fish and own three boats, play golf (yes, golf), and go on family vacations so I can't afford the top of the line scopes. I will admit that my latest additions to the gun safe, a Remington M7 300SAUM SS/Syn and a Ruger M77 300WinMag SS/Syn will be getting better glass when the funds are available.

Palmetto-Pride

I will admit that my latest additions to the gun safe, a Remington M7 300SAUM SS/Syn and a Ruger M77 300WinMag SS/Syn will be getting better glass when the funds are available.

Thanks for reinforcing my post..........lol

Sportdog

I wouldn't give up hunting if all I had was a Simmons scope. I just feel that the increased recoil of the 300's may warrant a better scope. The calibers that wear Simmons scopes in my safe are .243Win, 30-06, 8mmMauser, and 7mmWSM. Thus far the Simmons have done the job.

jgcoastie

I had a Simmons 3-9x40 (I think the model was Blazer?) on a NEF 45-70 Handi-Rifle... I had it on there for three or four years, sold the gun, as far as I know it's still on there... I put about 250 rounds through the gun over the years I had it, scope never lost zero...

That being said, I prefer Burris and Nikon scopes, but I would buy Simmons again if I needed to go easy on the checkbook...

sholling

Early Aetecs were made in the Philippines and had a decent rep for a low cost scope. Simmons later shifted production to China and lost a lot of respect. These days the only Simmons that I'm aware of that's still made in the Philippines is the limited production Whitetail Classic.

Palmetto-Pride

I guess what it comes down to is any scope that will hold zero will work when you have enough light to see your target, but when the lighting is low and you can hardly see with a Simmons, that's when a Zeiss or Leupold pays for itself I know from exprence I can sit 15-20 min longer with my Zeiss than I could when I had a cheap scope and that 15-20 min has let me take some nice deer that I don't think I would have got with my cheap scope.

Hawg

I guess what it comes down to is any scope that will hold zero will work when you have enough light to see your target, but when the lighting is low and you can hardly see with a Simmons, that's when a Zeiss or Leupold pays for itself

I've been in the deep woods just before dark and watched animals I couldn't even see with my eyes thru a Simmons scope.

V.Hunter

So many people have gotten so many bad ones thats why they have the bad rep they do. I personally have had three. All three would not hold zero, all three had a shift in point of impact when changing power, and all three did not track well.

I would never trust another even on a rimfire after the experiences I have had with them.

If I were on a budget and had to choose between a Tasco and Simmons it would be the Tasco.

With Nikons ProStaff and Buckmasters lines I see no need to take chances on a Simmons to save money.

ojibweindian

So many people have gotten so many bad ones thats why they have the bad rep they do. I personally have had three. All three would not hold zero, all three had a shift in point of impact when changing power, and all three did not track well.

I would never trust another even on a rimfire after the experiences I have had with them.

If I were on a budget and had to choose between a Tasco and Simmons it would be the Tasco.

With Nikons ProStaff and Buckmasters lines I see no need to take chances on a Simmons to save money.

That's been my experience with Simmons, as well. There are way too many other "budget" scopes out there that are better than Simmons.

I guess I sit on the fence with both good & bad ones...

but my Aetec has been one of the good ones bright clear & repeatable... the 44 Mag on my 223 Contender carbine is not repeatable, & off the bench is just plain frustrating when trying to develope loads for that barrel... it's coming off...

most of my rifle scopes end up being Burris or Luepold, & in all fairness... I've never had a bad one... when it comes to shooting off a bench ( I only shoot off the bench informally for load developement, not competitively ), at varrying ranges & using multiple power settings, a repeatable scope is necessary, & any imperfections are greatly noticed, much more than on a "normal hunting scope"

BTW my Aetec is probably over 15 years old, so it may not be representive of current production...

ken22250

simons arnt total junk, but they arnt high quality, i have had 3 simmons 3-9x scopes, all came on savage package guns, all three were fairly clear and crips lenses, the magnification ring on one is very hard to move, and the adjustments are generly sloppy, but they arnt bad scopes for a $30 scope (3-9x40 blazer that came on 2 centerfire rifles) generly if im buying a cheapish scope i go bushnell, but i have no major complaints from any simmons scope i have ever used. i guess it just comes down to luck as to weather you get a good or bad scope, but i know if im gonna buy a cheapish scope it'll be a busnell.
ken

jhgreasemonkey

Simmons Philipine made stuff like the whitetail classic and aetec are good scopes, their chinese stuff are pretty cheap but in my experience are usable for general purpose. I have both the whitetail classic which is nice, and one of their chinese "8 point" scopes mounted on my 30-06 for 3 or so years and have put 300-500 rounds (maby more) through it and it holds zero fine. It is clear enough and has worked so far. I plan on using it for deer season again this year. Why not it works fine.