Simmons Pro 50 Scope for .22LR

zanthope

I found a Simmons Pro 50 2.5-10 X 50 rifle scope at Wally World for $95.00 that I think I'd like to mount on my T/C Classic 22. Anybody have any experience with this model?

I have a Simmons 44 Magnum 6.5-20 X 44 on my Savage 12FV that has been a winner so far.

Do you think a 50 mm objective lens is too fat for this rifle? I don't want to use high-rise mounts if I don't have to.

Matt Sutton

The T/C Classic is so light and slender that I think a 50mm objective lens would be very out of place. I'm personally thinking about getting a smaller scope for mine. Simmons makes a compact 4X32 that I think would be very suitable. They run about $50-60. Simmons 1022T 3-9X32 would be nice too, but is larger.
22mag.jpg

Swamp Yankee

I'm sure that Simmons would work just fine, but it will require high or extra-high rings. Check the ring chart over in the technical info at www.midwayusa.com
The other issue of concern is how will a scope with that large a bell fit around the front sight. I am not that familiar with the TC but I ran into a problem on my Dan Wesson Coyote Classic with the scope bell interfering with the front sight. Could have removed the sight but went with an old Redfield 6X Wideview I had collecting dust to solve the problem.
Take Care

Matt Sutton

I have a BSA 32mm adjustable objective lens on mine with low Weaver rings and it fits just fine. I have about 3/16" to spare. I had a 40mm fixed objective 3-9 on it at one point and it worked fine. Medium rings should work with the 50mm scope, but it just wouldn't look right.
The sights are relatively high on the Classic and were in the field of view with my low rings, so I removed mine. The rifle looks much better without them IMO.