Simmons Is OK

ZeroJunk

I had a friend bring a rifle over to sight in.The rifle shot high and the elevation adjustment had been ruined trying to get it to turn some more.I took the scope off and found that somebody had shimmed the back of the scope.Anyhow ,I threw the scope in the trash and installed one I had laying around.A day or two later it occured to me to send it back to Simmons.Felt bad about it knowing some moron had broke it.They probably cussed me when they saw it but they sent a new better scope.Can't beat that.

FS2K

I had a similar experience with Eotech.

The very first Eotech I ever purchased broke. The back lense had some delamination going on, and even though the unit was YEARS old they replaced it with a brand new one free of charge.

I like Simmons Scopes too. I haven't had mine for very long either and am using it on my latest 10/22 project.

tINY

I've been waiting to see the new Simmons scopes. They don't seem to be in stock around here.

I have seen the 22 mag scopes (the $40 variety). I passed. The eye relief and clarity were not up to my liking (what do you want for $40?).

Are they ever going to solve their production problems?

-tINY

UniversalFrost

The 44mag (discontinued) Aetec, and Master series are some of the best bang for your buck scopes on the market. I have several Simmons and they are of comparable quality to others twice there price. I put them on all my brush guns or truck guns or any gun that I worry about beating up, so I don't have to worry about destroying an expensive scope. Did break one when I dropped the rifle and it fell on thescope and broke the glass. No big deal. Only out 80 bucks.

Nikon buckmaster or prostaff or the fullfield II are great scopes as well, but a little higher price range for the same quality scope.

duck911

Let em start off by saying that my favorite scopes are all Bushnell Elite 3200 and 4200 scopes.

I'm not a huge Simmons fan - UNLESS the scope is a Simmons 44 Mag.

In my humble opinion they represent one of the best "bang for your buck" scopes out there if you're looking for a quality, inexpensive scope.

Don't expect exact repeatability with the adjustments or the ability to withstand .338 Win Mag recoil for 10 years. Your best bet is to zero it in and leave it alone.

But on my .204 out to 500 yards? Oh baby!

I also have one NIB sitting in my safe that will go on my Encore .243 barrel when it arrives.

Csspecs

I have a Simmons scope on my SKS (choate side mount), it seems to work fine and I can see my targets with it. I do find the zoom knob to be a bit stiff almost to the point where one could mess it up if they did not support the scope while turning it but I just leave mine at 4X all the time.

I have a Simmons Whitetail Classic on my Savage Model 12. I really like it. I understand there are better scopes out there, but are they competitive with the price of Simmons? I'm not properly trained to be able to pick out the subtle yet important differences, but I can't see spending $500+ on a Leupold etc. I shoot target and like to work on accuracy, but do not shoot in competition(yet). Any opinions would be appreciated.

boojo35

I have a couple of simmons scopes. One of them is the .44 Mag. It is an amazing scope for the money. It is very clear glass, even when on 20x magnification. It holds zero very well.

cheygriz

I would rather use iron sights than trust a good hunting trip to a junker scope like a Bushnell, Simmons, Tasco, etc.

Apparently some folks still think that you can get a premium product for a junk price. you can't! You get what you pay for, or less. Never more.

I've owned at least a dozen "economy" scopes over the last 50+ years. Redfield, Tasco, Weaver, Bushnell, you name it. I've regretted buying every single one of them.

I've never regretted buying a Kahles, Swarovski, or other quality scope. I've never even regretted buying a medium quality scope like Leupold and Nikon.

You get what you pay for. And the most expensive is usually the best value in the long run.

el Divino

cheygris

I have use a Redfield scope in a 700 rem 270 win since 1978. I have shot nearly 1000 round with it and voila the Redfield is still zeroed as it was ever since, and still have several more rifles with Redfields, 3 Belgian Brownings in 30-06, Enfield 1917 in 300 win mag, 1903 Sprinfield in 35 whelen, Mauser 98 in 270 wby mag, Mauser 98 in 458 win mag, mauser 98 in 25-06, Browining a-bolt in 338 win mag, 788 Rem in 6mm Rem and some 4 or 5 more that I don't recall need to open the safe. These scopes have been mount since the '70 and '80's, and I also own several Swaroski, 3-10x50 and 3-10 x 56, and Nikons and Leupolds and 5 Simmons aetec 2.8-10x44 that I bought in rochester NY in 1993 and they are still zeroed and in the same rifle. In what I agree with you is in Tascos some Bushnels and all the cheap scopes you found around.

I also found that I have a Kahles in a 257 weatherby accumark

Last edited:

UniversalFrost

cheygriz, I totally agree that many of the bargain basement scopes are darn near worthless. However, many of the "cheap" (75-150) scopes have come a long way. They are not comparable to a S&B, Zeiss, etc... , but they work well for the average blue collar guy who shoots an average gun and can not afford the uber scopes.

As far as grouping bushnell and redfield in that same category of "junk" scopes I would highly disagree. I have a redfield 3-9X42 illuminator that has comparable optics to my zeis Davaria and cost a quarter of the price and still holds a 200 yard zero on a .338 win mag after 240 documented rounds. The clarity of the glass and light transmission beats my brothers Schmidt and Bender for a 5th the price.

duck911

Cheygriz wrote:

You get what you pay for, or less. Never more.

I can't count the number of firearms, optics, vehicles, or other goods I have owned that I got MORE than my money's worth from.

I'm glad I've been able to find away to make my dollar stretch, and guess what? Quality CAN come as a reasonable price!

My Bushnell 3200 and 4200 optics are a 1/4 of the price of that Swarovski, and perform at a very high level that nearly equals that of the big dollar scopes.

Weaver Grand Slam scopes are another great scope for the price.

I'm not a scope snob. I buy quality, reasonably priced gear. I'd rather have 3 great scopes on 3 great guns than 1 overpriced scope on 1 overpriced rifle.

Servo77

I agree with universalFRost. I have had sevearl of the 44 mag series of scopes (which were all around $150-$200) and all performed very well. Nice and bright and durable.

joshua

I agree some of the Simmons scopes have come a long way. I have a Pro-50 and a Whitetail Expedition and have been very good performers. The Expedition does have some aberration around the edges in which my Burris or Pentax don't have. All in all it's a good scope. josh

Picher

I've had two Simmons 4.5-14x ATV scopes and a 6.5-20x. They're sharp and focus to 30' for gallery shooting. I've used them for almost 10 years and found them very accurate. One of the ATVs needed to be fixed after about 5 years, but the company fixed it quickly and well.

The ATVs have been used by several friends on their Ruger 10-22s and other rifles and everyone who's used them can't believe how clear they are for the money.

Many of you know that Simmons is now owned by Mead Optical, which also owns Weaver. Mead has some great optical products and is improving the quality of it's newer lines.

The Weaver Grand Slam is another good example of a quality product at reasonable cost.

I also have a Weaver reflector-type spotting scope that's made by Mead. The clarity is unbelieveable for the money, but it's not a waterproof model.

Picher

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
The Simmons 44Mag seems like a pretty good scope. I picked one up out of curiosity and stuck it on my pet '06. I guess I've run some 200 or so rounds past it. It's not good for repeatability of adjustments, but that's not important on a hunting rifle where you set it and forget it.

I still say the old Weaver K4 is as good a scope as 90% of all hunters would ever need. For sure, I've killed more deer with 3X on a 3x9 variable than I ever did at 5X or more. :) Heck, even my first scope was a K2.5, back in 1950; it worked plenty good.

My Vari-X II Leupolds are all 30 or more years old, and they still work just fine. It says a lot for their durability that they've stood thousands of miles in a 4WD truck over really bad jeep trails, as well as some unplanned descents down some hills. :)

Probably the best deal is to avoid El Cheapo variables. Inexpensive fixed-power scopes seem to work okay, from what folks say on the Internet.

Art

dfaugh

Apparently some folks still think that you can get a premium product for a junk price. you can't! You get what you pay for, or less. Never more.

I've owned at least a dozen "economy" scopes over the last 50+ years. Redfield, Tasco, Weaver, Bushnell, you name it. I've regretted buying every single one of them.

I dunno...I'e used Tasco for the last 35 years, and never had a problem with any of them. My only criticism would be that they don't work as well in " low light" as some of the more expensive scops.

I have a fundemental problem with paying as much for a scope, as I did for a rifle. Since I've never had a problem with the inexpensive scopes I've used, that just re-enforces my problem.

Maybe so Cheygriz but...
I'dlove to have a Porsche GT2 but I have better uses for my money or don't have the luxury to pay through the nose for a high end scope. That's why I'm perfectly content driving a Honda.

tINY

I hate scope snobs. I appreciate a good, clear bright scope - I have a few.

I finally took the $25 scope off my 300 WM and put it on a 22. It held zero just fine and took the heavy recoil. It just wasn't as bright or clear as I like in a hunting scope - It worked fine.

Seems that after the first $60 or so these days you pay for better glass and a name. The really cheap scopes can have mechanical issues, but that's no big deal on a range queen or a 22. Sometimes, you do find a rugged scope for cheap. Still, I'd stick with fixed power scopes on the cheap side.

-tINY

cheygriz

Get your eye doctor to make you a copy of his chart, and place it at the 200 yard line.

Now put a bunch of different scopes on the bench and try to read the smallest line you can read. but be prepared for a surprise when your 20X simmons won't read as far down the chart as a 6x Kahles.:D

As for cost, I have no problem at all paying twice as much for the scope as for the rifle.

I's rather have a MilSurp 98 Mauser with a S&B or Hensoldt mounted on it, than a Sako with a Simmons or Weaver on it.

Just personal taste, I guess. And BTW, I'm not a "scope snob." I just like top quality. That's also why I drive a Cadillac.