Silver Colored Brass

branrot

After sorting the brass I picked up at the range, I found some that were obviously not brass, but bright silver in color (bright silver, not the dull silver aluminum Blazer stuff). Most of them were .357 and 10mm. What type of metal is this? Is it good to reload? Do you reload it the same way you'd reload brass colored brass? Thanks again for your help.

Mal H

Staff
That's nickel plated brass. The answer is yes to your other two questions. But be aware that it is a little harder on your dies than unplated brass. Although I haven't heard of anyone actually wearing out a die set using it, so that may be an OWT.

Wayward

Nickel plated brass. Some say that the nickel can flake and scratch your dies. This seems to be more a problem with steel dies than carbide ones.

Also be aware that you won't get as many reloads out of nickle-plated brass as just regular brass.

The two metals works at different rates, and a lot of stress builds up as they are shot and resized, leading to cracking.

I've always figured on between 5 and 10 fewer loadings, depending on the brass.

P

PreserveFreedom

I am not reloading yet, but I come here to try to pick up pointers for when I start (hopefully soon). I am real glad I saw this thread. I knew that nickel plated shells were reloadable, but I didn't know that they were less durable than plain old brass. If they are not as good as brass, why do so many premium companies use them? There are three things I can think of and these are just guesses so correct me if I am wrong...

1) The plating may make the shell more corrosion resistant and therefore more reliable for feeding and less apt to "rot out" and have a weak wall.

2) They may not stick in a chamber/cylinder as much because they are slicker, more corrosion resistant, and not as flexible.

3) They are pretty. :)

WESHOOT2

Nickel Cases

1) corrosion resistance

2) increased lubricity for more reliable feed (autos) and/or easier extraction (both)

3) we'll go with 'pretty'