Silver colored 38 casings

shafter

I've got some 38 special casings that are a silver color. I know it isn't aluminum and I think it might be some kind of coating on the brass, nickel maybe? Anyway I was wondering if they can be reloaded the same as any other 38 casings.

What loads do you guys use for your 38's? I'd like to use some of my Unique and 158gr lead. Any ideas?

Lavid2002

Can't recommend loads, but your right. Those casings are nickel plated. Treat them the same as brass casings : )

oneounceload

If you go to the proper sites, you will find the data for Unique and 158 SWC. I used to use Unique, now liking Universal Clays - very similar in load data

word of caution... don't tumble ( or only tumble occasionall or lightly ) or the cases get pretty ugly as the nickel get thin & irregular... I usually just wash & dry my nickel cases

Well, those cases COULD be aluminum, and therefore shouldn't be reloaded.

What are the headstamps on the cases?

There's only one common manufacturer of aluminum cases, CCI Blazer.

Scorch

I love Unique in all my handguns. I load a 158 gr cast LSWC over 6.0 gr of Unique, a very shootable load, about 1000 fps. Under a 158 gr jacketed SWC, you can load up to about 8 gr, check your loading manual.

B.L.E.

Don't those CCI Blazer cases use Berdan primers anyway, making them, for all practical purposes, unreloadable?