Silent Thunder holster options???

horseman308

I've about settled on a Silent Thunder from Garrett Industries for my STI Trojan. The holster will be used almost exclusively for range work, IDPA, and the like. If I ever decide to CCW this pistol on anything approaching a regular basis, I'll get a different IWB holster.

Now, having said that, I'm trying to decide between the STX version and the standard version. Could anyone offer any insights?

The STX version has 3 mounting position, has belt loops that mount individually, and are replaceable but non-adjustable.

stxnewback__54958_zoom.jpg

The standard has a 360-degree rotating system that allows you adjust the cant to your exact preferences. FWIW, you can also get several different mounting options for this (MOLLE compatible, clip-on, dropped-offset, etc.).

STowbback2__51163_zoom.JPG

STowbback3__82928_zoom.JPG

Now, here's my big question. The standard is likely much more versatile, but all the parts (except screws) appear to be kydex. So, is it really gonna be that durable? There are basically only two contact points and a small circle holding the mount to the holster and to belt. It just seems like it would be prone to some kind of stress or wear that would make it come apart (screws strip out or something).

By contrast, the STX appears likely to be much more stable and secure, but it won't be very adjustable.

I don't anticipate it needing to be extremely durable for my purposes, but I'd like it to be. So, anybody have any experience with either of these or advice?

Also, any thoughts on whether getting one with a speed cut in the front would be worth the extra $20?