Silencer manufacture

rangermonroe

Does anone have info on silencer manufacture?

I cannot find any on the ATF website, but maybe I am not looking correctly.

Handy

I was told once that the tax stamp you apply for to possess a silencer can be applied to one you produce yourself (AFTER receiving the stamp). It might be one of those things that isn't so explicitly spelled out, so a call to the ATF tech branch might be in order.

If you want to make them to sell, then that is a Class II(I) manufacturing license.

The problem here is that any important part of the silencer is not replaceable, so developing the silencer with just the one tax stamp is pretty difficult. You'd have to know what you're making will work.

rangermonroe

Well, I am toying with the idea of manufacture for sale.

I will probably go to the ATF office next week and speak with them.

I wondered if any of you all had done this, and if there were any pitfalls that I might avoid.

Thanks guys.

shaggy

To sell?

I hope you have a great new idea, because there are a number of very good suppressor manufacturers out there (Gemtech, AAC, Knights, AWC, John Tibbets, Sound Tech, SWR, Tac-Ord, SRT Arms, etc.) so the competition is quite high and with that much competition the profit margins aren't. Many people in the suppressor market will not flinch at the price of a premium Gemtech or Knights can, but a large part of the lower end market is very price sensitive.

To get the manufacturing license you'll need to apply for an 07 FFL and pay the SOT ($500/year, reduced rate). You'll also need to pay the ITAR fee for the State Dept. ($1750/year). Obviously you'll also need a properly zoned facility for industrial or light industrial applications (BATF will check this) and all other applicable state and local business licenses. If you're going to sell suppressors or any item you manufacture, I'd also highly recommend good liability insurance.

If you just want to make a can for your own use and not for sale, get a Form 1 (in duplicate with two completed FBI fingerprint cards, $200 tax, and US citizenship certification, etc.) and send it all in. Once approved you can make your own can. As the original manufacturer you can repair and replace parts on your can, but you cannot have spare parts on hand (like neoprene wipes).

Handy

As the original manufacturer you can repair and replace parts on your can, but you cannot have spare parts on hand (like neoprene wipes).

Good stuff, Shaggy. I didn't know that this "loophole" existed. One of the turn offs on buying a suppressor was not being able to replace parts. This a great argument for buying a lathe instead of a finished product.

shaggy

Handy

FWIW, some suppressor manufacturers will even replace damaged cans with completely new ones for the end user. For example, a friend of mine bought a Gemtech Vortex-9 and after he had it a year or two decided that he wanted a steel insert to thread on the (steel) barrel. He was afraid that the threads in the original aluminum endcap would eventually wear out and become damaged. After talking to Doc Dater, he sent his can back for the repair. Gemtech/Dater just destroyed the old can and sent him a brand new Vortex-9 with the same serial number, not only with a steel insert in the endcap, but with the new and improved baffle stack. I don't recall what Gemtech charged him (I think about $40-50, but not sure), but it was extremely cheap for just installing a steel insert in the endcap, but my friend not only got a steel insert, but a brand new can with improved internals.

Honestly, I'm about as competent with tools as a chimpanzee on acid, but I've often thought about registering a few cans on F1's and having a friendly local machinist with an 07/SOT help me make my own cans so if ever I want to upgrade the can, I'll be able to do so as the original manufacturer.

WAXSTAR

state laws

I've looked into this as well. Pretty much forget anything if the state you reside in prohibits the posession of the silencer. Go figure, New York produces machine guns, but the citizens can not own one. Silencers are out altogether as the ATF/FBI/PD doesn't want to hear anything about it. When I inquired the ATF was practically ready to raid my place thinking I already started up shop.
Good luck. I'm retiring to a silencer/full auto friendly state.

shaggy

Good luck. I'm retiring to a silencer/full auto friendly state.

Already there. I just work in NY and stay here when its convenient.:D

picture%20055.jpg