Silencer build questions

dakota.potts

I'm getting a small lathe here soon and if it turns as well as I hope, I'm really thinking about building a silencer on a Form 1. I do have a couple of questions though.

Because of the hassle and cost involved, I plan to use one suppressor on a number of guns that I currently own and will own in the future, including a CETME, VZ 58, .30-06 Montana Bolt Action Rifle, AK 47/74, and undoubtedly at some point in time a short barreled .308 (FAL/HK pistol or something of the like). I am willing to sacrifice weight and length for something that is durable and moderately effective at reducing noise. Looking more for hearing safe than silent.

I'm thinking for baffles I'll turn some stainless steel step baffles as I'm fairly confident with turning and boring operations on a lathe. My understanding is that stainless steel step baffles are fairly effective at sound moderation and should also be fairly durable. I plan to definitely encompass .30 caliber and also .32 ACP if possible because a VZ 61 skorpion is definitely on my short list to build. I'm looking for something versatile, relatively efficient at sound moderation (doesn't have to be the best on the market) and above all very durable. I was thinking of a bore diameter between .350 and .375 for plenty of clearance, but I'm not sure how that will work on smaller calibers like .223, so further research will be necessary to determine the best bore size for my needs. If I wanted the versatility to do things including .30-06, short barreled .308 etc. in the future, would an arrangement like this be suitable for the higher pressures of those uses?

As far as a tube and endcaps, can I use other products that I could buy online? I'm not as comfortable threading larger diameter parts and I don't have any experiencing turning inside threads. I don't believe a tap and die job would be concentric enough to work. I notice that on the internet there are steel maglite tubes as well as endcap muzzle attachments designed for the maglite tubes. Threaded steel tubes would seem to have the yield strength for a centerfire rifle suppressor. However, I understand that "silencer parts" are considered silencers also and therefore can not be sold freely. Is there a clear line between what is a silencer part and what isn't? What about something not intended for a silencer part that I buy with the intent to use as such? Is there a clear legal answer on this somewhere, or do I need to be coming up with a way to make the tube and caps myself?

As far as the tube, can I send it off to be engraved prior to receiving the Form 1? Can an item like that be sent through common mail without an FFL?

I'm sure I'll have more questions. I'm not jumping into anything, just starting the research/consideration phase to see if it's something feasible and a process that I'm comfortable with. Just trying to collect my thoughts on this so experienced opinions or references to knowledge are much appreciated

Thanks

Sharkbite

None of the guns you mention will be "hearing safe" with any can you build (or buy). So get that thought out of your mind.

I dont do diy cans myself, so the tech stuff will wait for someone more knowledgeable to come along

You can send off a blank tube to be engraved with no issues. At this point it is just a tube with your info on it. Once you get the form 1 and build it into a suppressor...its a suppressor and all NFA rules apply. Until then its a tube.

DONT build ANY baffles or other parts until your stamp comes in. Any suppressor parts count as a suppressor. You cant have parts laying around, or spares just sitting there

dakota.potts

Thanks for the warning at the end sharkbite. I was aware of that restriction but it should be made clear regardless.

As far as "hearing safe" I accept that you are correct. I have shot suppressed firearms up to .300 WM before without hearing protection (my ear muffs broke in the middle of a suppressor demo). The goal is to make them more pleasant during recreational shooting and to provide some level of protection in the case that I found myself in a situation that might end in firing a couple of shots without. (Random examples: self defense, hog hunting and an angry hog surprises you before your ears are on etc.) I understand not even a .22 is hearing safe and don't plan on shooting without ears but the extra protection is desirable in some circumstances

punkinhead

Learn to thread. Practice on something cheap like PVC pipe. If you're uncomfortable you can thread away from the headstock.

Don't have the tube engraved before getting the tax stamp back for the simple reason that if you mess it up when threading you are screwed. You aren't allowed to actually thread it until you get the tax stamp back so you'll now have an engraved tube that you have exactly one shot at machining correctly. Unless you live way out in the sticks you should have someone local who can do the engraving.

Mobuck

" I am willing to sacrifice weight and length for something that is durable and moderately effective at reducing noise. Looking more for hearing safe than silent."
I agree that's not likely to happen with a homemade can on centerfire. Length and internal volume are your friends when it comes to sound abatement.
I have a Form 1 rimfire can that's as simple as possible and fairly effective. It's "hearing safe" with 22 sub and HV(rifle and pistol) and a 16" 17HMR and that's good enough for what I have in the project. With subsonic in the 16" rifle, it's quieter than my high powered pellet rifle.
The businesses making/selling suppressors have a fair amount of time, money, and effort invested in their product that, barring pure luck, an individual isn't going to replicate overnight.