SIGP229 v. HKP7

Greg Bell

I have both. I love both. Which do you guys think I should settle on for daily carry? My P7 is hardchromed--so rust isn't an issue. I have hi-caps for my 229--so the contest is 13 rounds of 357 v. 9 rounds 9mm. Which would you guys settle on?

beemerb

I don't think anyone else can make that choice for you.Both are very fine guns so which do you shoot best?

Sling Shot

The P7 is a fine pistol, and I know because I owned one for a week. The squeeze cocker is just plain wierd to me, and I could not get the hang of it. Sig all the way.
Sling Shot

branrot

I have a 229 and I like it a lot. Why not carry your 229, and send me the P7???

Just kidding. Both are excellent guns. But both are slightly heavy for carry guns (when compared with Glocks and HK USP's). You can't go wrong with either. My choice would be the Sig, though, based on the larger round and higher capacity.

jtduncan

Carry what you want.

But the P7 is the more accurate pistol and definitely faster into action and followup shots. Better to hit with a pea than miss with a bazooka.

If you've looked at the Stopping Power website or talked to cops about their gunfights, they rarely ever get to the second shot. People just want it to stop. So odds are you'll never need more than two rounds so the volume argument is out.

But if you ever get into a gun grab, you'll be glad you had the P7.

I'd go with the hard chromed P7. Mine was hard chromed by MetaLife 16 years ago and is still a looker.

George Helser

Greg,

I prefer to carry a P7-PSP for CCW. I also recently started carrying a Glock 26. I am confident in 9x19 because I use effective ammo with low muzzle flash.

I own higher capacity handguns but do not carry them for two reasons:
a) It is very unlikely I would ever need more then 3 rounds for CCW. (FBI statistics.)
b) High capacity handguns are less concealable and less comfortable to carry.

If I was in so dangerous a place that I needed to carry more than 10 rounds I would get out of that place carrying an MP5 with 2x30 rounds under my coat and never go back!

Good luck!

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona

Mikie

I don't own either but I have handled and shot both. The 229 feels great in the hand and is accurate, but it's just too thick to carry concealed well. The P7M8 on the other hand is flat, feels good in the hand is surprisingly accurate. I fired the P7 only once and put six rounds in a 3 inch group at 25 yds rapid fire!! I am very close to getting a P7M8 as my next gun!

9mmepiphany

p7, p7, p7, p7, p7

upside - more concealable (likely to carry), more accurate (likely to hit), more owner friendly (likely to survive gun grab)

downside - heavy and expensive

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Compared to...

...a Mini Glock the P7 is heavy. Compared to a P-229, it's a flyweight and very compact. When not carrying my G29 or G30, the P7M8 is a frequent choice. I believe its slimness makes up for its weight, and I'm as fast and accurate with it as with any other pistol I own. As far as capacity issues go, the P7 and one spare plus my Tomcat gives me 25 rounds on board; more than enough for anything short of a full-scale Platt & Mattix-style shootout.

thequickad

Actually, the P7M8 weighs 1oz heavier than the SIG P229. I agree the P7 is flatter and probably more accurate. But you may also want to carrying an extra mag to get more than 10-rd of 9mm, while the SIG P229 is 12+1 of 357SIG or 40SW firepower.

Tecolote

What's this about a gun grab?

Can someone please explain why a P7 is better than a P229 in a gun grab situation? Isn't this contradictory since so many are saying the P7 is more user friendly and easier to use?

hickman

gun grab question

The P7 has a "squeeze cocker", which is unlike any other gun. You must squeeze it and hold it or the trigger is not connected to the firing mechanism. If a bad guy hasn't seen one before, he might not be able to figure out what to do for a few seconds, or longer, if he grabbed your gun. There was a story in a magazine, maybe the NRA monthly mag, about a business owner who had one and a would be robber couldn't figure out how to shoot him with it. Once you practice a bit with it, it is very intuitive and then becomes quite user friendly.

9mmepiphany

the 1st response of a gun grabber is to pull the trigger:
1) on the 229, you get a bang and projectile vomiting
2) on the P7, the trigger just moves back and forth
a) the next most obvious control(PSP) is the take-down button (looks like a shotgun safety)
b) on the P7M8/M13, the mag release pokes out...now they have a single-shot that they still can't fire

by this point, you should be able to distract your attacker's attention with either your back-up gun or a joint dislocation strike

unless you are used to changing carry guns on a regular basis, you might want to just shoot the P7 until you get used to it

Tecolote

Don't buy it.

I don't buy the arguments made above. If someone grabs a P7 then they'll squeeze the grip. How else are they going to hold the pistol? Having squeezed the grip the pistol is then ready to fire. That's like saying that if a BG has never fired a DA auto he'll think that the long trigger pull equals a defective pistol and discard it.

Greg Bell

Tecolote,

I can see why you might doubt this. Still, its true. I have seen this work against other gun nuts on various occasions. Most people will just fidget. Unless they use a gorrilla grip they aren't likely to cock the gun. In fact, even after I tell them they will usually squeeze it, release and then pull the trigger. There have been a lot of documented cases where this happend--and God does HK like to let you know :) I wouldn't play Russian Roulette with a bad guy based on this theory--but I would bet there is a good chance that, in an emergency, he couldn't manage it.

GHB

355sigfan

I would like to get a P7 but I would carry the 229 and the superior stopping power and barrier busting ability of the 357 sig.
PAT