Sigma as a carry gun? (Fat guys encouraged to reply)

Young.Gun.612

So I've been spending a lot of time at the range honing mu accuracy, getting ready to go do the process for my ccw. I have a new model S&W Sigma (sw40ve) and since its my only pistol, its probably what I'm going to carry.

I'm a big guy (read: fat), wondering if what I have would be a good gun to carry or not? Plan on getting an iwb, or carrying in a shoulder holster.

Would I be better off with a smaller gun? I was looking at something like an sp101.

bossman

Get a don hume PCCH for the Sigma and you will be very happy. Great gun to carry once you master the trigger.

khegglie

they carry ok in iwb or belt holster. I didnt carry mune often because the slide stop lever would hang up in some holsters.

CWKahrFan

I'd just suggest to pay a lot of attention to weight. SP101 is great... I have one but find I don't CARRY it much as I opt for lighter to carry all day. SP101 weighs about the same as your Sigma. If you're thinking revolver as an alternative, how about an LCR?... .38 is 14 oz!... That's the kind of weight I really like for an EDC. My feeling is, for carry... why lug around a heavy gun for decades when the probability of ever actually firing it in SD is SO small?... (for ordinary non-LEO citizens). To me, there's a big difference between a (primarily) range gun and a (primarily) carry gun.

Jim243

Would I be better off with a smaller gun? I was looking at something like an sp101.

It will really depend on how you dress. I too get XL on all my clothing. I would not say I am FAT but OVER WEIGHT yes (big bones, LOL).

It will be a matter of what is comfortable for you, I do have a lot of IWB holsters but rarely find them comfortable. Shoulder holsters are a lot more comfortable but have their drawbacks (a cross draw is never fast).

Trying to get a pistol or revolver out of a IWB holster is never pretty and can hang up on clothing (or rolls of flesh) as you try.

The surest way is an OWB holster but requires a extreemly stiff belt to keep the gun against your body and in place.

Smaller guns are easyer to concealed carry but have fewer rounds and are less powerful. So it is a compromise as to what is comfortable and suffecient to protect you.

A SP-101 is not as small as you may think, the cyclinder sticks out wider than your Sigma and will poke you in the side. It will also be harder to hit a target futher than 21 feet away with a 2 1/2 inch barrel. My solution was to go with a CZ P-01 about the same size as your Sigma and use a OWB belt slide holster.

Good luck on your choice.
Jim

IMG_1227.jpg

SAM_0501.jpg

Young.Gun.612

I'm not so much worried about weight, I'm prepared to carry the sigma loaded 14+1 so it isn't much of an issue. Im more worried about printing. The sigma isn't a large gun, but it seems to me more likely to print than a smaller gun like a revolver would. I was also looking at possibly a judge.

I dress, well, like an inner city 20-something (baggy shirts, loose fitting jeans hooded sweatshirts), but I was probably going to class it up a bit with a sport coat to cover a shoulder holster. Otherwise rely on loose (3xl-4xl) shirts to conceal.

Thanks for the help, guys!

CWKahrFan

...I was also looking at possibly a judge...

If here you're meaning the Taurus Judge... Have you ever met one "in person"?
They're a lot bigger than they look in pictures. There may be a few people in the world who conceal-carry one... and one or two of them might admit to it... even on this thread I suppose... not my cup o' tea...

Kreyzhorse

Smaller guns are easier to carry and conceal. The Sigma will likely work great for you in the winter when you'll likely wear a few layers. In the summer t-shirt weather, the Sigma is going to be a little more difficult than a smaller gun. Not impossible but keep in mind you'll always have to dress around your gun.

Also note, you will need a good leather gun belt and holster. Don't cheap out on the belt, it will make your carry experience much better as a good belt is the key to a good CCW rig.

mrt949

I have smith mp &sp101 also gailco triton for the auto iwb .the sp i a gailco also iwb .I am short 5. 6 " 320 lb short and squaty fat with no body :D

kinggabby

I also have a Sigma ( SWE9VE ) same size as the 40 I plan on carrying it when I get my CCW. I found for me to carry it it is better for me to carry it IWB at about the 1 o'clock position. Very little if no printing while walking around. Only problem is when sitting. Barrel rides right long side my grapes. I figure the only times it might be a problem is driving ( can unholster if need be ) and at a restaurant. But seeing how I don't spend hours at a eatin place I can deal with if for just a little bit.

wvshooter

I own and have carried the following: Bersa Thunder 380, Kahr CW9, CZ Rami 2075, Sig P250, and some others that are as large or heavier than my two Sigmas. I have a 9ve and a 40ve. They have identical dimensions and IMO are outstanding choices for concealed carry.

They are light weight and have soft edges. The grip is top drawer. The mag capacity and shootability is very good for both guns. I carry mine in a Don Hume IWB 715 M No.40 FC.

Regarding concealability, it's not how much you weigh, it's how you dress.

CWKahrFan

Sigma 9mm:

Magazine: 16 rd.
Barrel: 4"
Length: 7.25"
Width: 1.3"
Weight: 24.7 oz.

Kahr CW9:

Magazine: 7 rd.
Barrel: 3.6"
Length: 5.9"
Width: 0.9"
Weight: 17.7 oz.

qqq1

I carry my sw40ve in a blackhawk serpa some times. I got a shoulder holster that works with the blackhawk but I haven't tried it yet. Most of the time I have my LCR in my pocket.

it's a manageable size to carry. about equal width to the glock 19. maybe a little longer. i personally despise the pistol, but if you can get around everything about it that sucks, go for it.

barstoolguru

belly band carry

I carry a G23 in a belly band with an extra mag on the other side. some look down on it but it is the most comfortable carry ever

DBLAction454

Im not fat but I am a thick man. i spend a bit of time in the gym. 5'9" 225lbs

I have no problem concealing a full-size HK USP .45

If you have the clothes that can be worn around the gun and youre comfortable I say go for it...

I wouldn't buy a gun to carry just because its smaller...

Full-size pistols are usually more accurate (usually because the shooter has a better grip) and they have a higher ammo capacity

I carry the USP because I know what I can hit with it and how fast I can draw it and its been FLAWLESS in terms of reliability

If the gun you want to carry is reliable and comfortable and you can shoot it accurately then thats what I think you should carry...

Good Luck bud!

Young.Gun.612

The sigma fits my hand pretty well, not a single issue with about 1000 rounds through it. The only thing I don't like is how gritty the trigger is, even after shooting it so much. Thinking of having a trigger job done, lighten the pull a little but mostly clean it up.

I guess my main worry is the bottom of the grip printing. It seems to me the more rounded shape of a revolver grip would be easier to conceal. I don't want to have to buy a bunch of button down shirts to make sure I keep it concealed.