sigma 9ve or 40ve

contender4040

for those of you who have shot both.........which do you prefer?

is the recoil/snap of the 40 in the sigma worth the xtra punch over the 9 and control/recovery in such a light gun?

i've shot metal frame 40's but wondering about the plastics.

one last qestion, does the sigma 40 "bulge" brass? I have seen marks on brass shot thru a glock that make me wonder about reloading the 40.

GONIF

Forget those ,you want a S&W M&P in 40 or 9mm . the 40 is slightly snappyer ,but not bad by any means. The M&P is one of the best pistols you will ever shoot .

Te Anau

SW9VE all the way.There are very few guns out there that can beat it as a carry or self defense piece.M&P's are great,but will take a beating in the market from the new S&W "in between" gun.

8shot357

Forget those ,you want a S&W M&P in 40 or 9mm . the 40 is slightly snappyer ,but not bad by any means. The M&P is one of the best pistols you will ever shoot .

I agree, but maybe he's trying to save money or doesn't have much. Both will be reliable. Not sure about the 40s shell's bulging, but they both shot not to bad, and for close up combat, it's a good gun point shooting up to 15 yards. I never rapid fired the 40, but I did with a full mag of the 9s and got all them in center mass at 15 yards with no flyers, but it was my gun. I actually shot a full mag of 9s through my Sigma rapid better than I did my CZ75B rapid. That might be because of trigger creep on my CZ.

Leejack

In the hands of a highly skilled shooter, the sigma is awesome!

There are two key words in that sentence.

No need to pay all the extra money for marketing and backstraps that they get for the M&P; the sigma is the most ergonomic plastic semi made.

9VE!

Logs

Vote for M&P

Spend the extra money on the M&P. Keenes Depot in Bardstown, KY has the M&P on Sale for $399.99 with two mags. Much nicer gun.

www.kygunco.com

I have the Sigma .40 and MP full size and compact 9mm. MP is much easier to shoot.

kraigwy

I have the 40 cal. I don't see it being "snappy" nor do I find the recoil objectional.

But: I'd go with which ever one you shoot the best.

mikeb32

Buldging 40's

I had just read an article about the 40 shell casing buldging in early Glocks, but that it had been fixed on newer, later models.

hagar

I have both, not much difference between the 2 as far as recoil. The 9mm is more accurate, but not by much. The 40 does not bulge brass, it has a fully supported chamber, no worries about KABOOMS either.

Kreyzhorse

If I were buying it, I'd go 9mm due to the cheaper cost of ammo if you plan on sending a lot of rounds down range.

As far as recoil, the 40 is snappier but it isn't bad but if this is a CCW gun rather than a range gun, I'd go 40.

pgdion

There are supposedly some bulging/reloading issues with the s&w .40 and they related in particular to earlier Glocks.

When the .40 came out, many 9's were reworked to add a .40 caliber model. To accommodate the fatter and longer cartridge, the feed ramp was modified and the base of the barrel opened up a bit. To accommodate the longer cartridge, the feed ramp actually extended into the barrel. This left the base of the .40 cal cartridge not supported all the way around. This would result in slight bulging of the case and for this reason, reloading of the .40 cal cartridge was not recommended.

Newer guns were designed to support the cartridge better so this shouldn't be so much of a problem. It leads me to a policy though of not buying any guns that were designed as a 9mm and then redesigned to handle the s&w .40. If you buy a .40, it should be a gun that was designed from the start to be a .40 cal (9's based on a .40 cal design would not be a problem of course).
Incidentally, you should be able to tell by examining the feed ramp and the base of the barrel if the gun your shooting has proper support for the cartridge. If not, then don't reload those shells.

stegar1

i have the .40 and like it . stiff trigger but shoots great. i like the m&p better but the sigma was only $299

ARDogman

There are a million 9 vs 40 threads. I shoot a 40, but if you're asking that question, I'd suggest the 9. Only because you're probably new. I'm not sure if you're hung up on Smith or a price point. Assuming it's Smith, I'd echo the M&P sentiment. Assuming it's a price point, look at the Ruger P95, too.

Like I said, I shoot 40's, but I have a hankering for a 9mm. You will likely be happy with either one.

Coltman 77

I love my M&P 9. It's been excellent in terms of accuracy, reliability and ergonomics.

If the M&P is just too rich for your blood, check out S&W's new SD series of pistols.

They seem to be a more "cost effective" version of the M&P and a step up from the Sigma series.

Last edited:

Old Timer

I own the SW9VE, the M&P .357 SIG and M&P .40.

My SW9VE is my daily carry piece. The M&P .40 was my uniform service pistol. Now it only goes to the range a couple times a month.

I did a simple trigger modification on the SW9VE and it now has one of the best triggers in my gun safe. And it cost me nothing but about 30 minutes of my time.

My M&P .40 has the Apex trigger mod and it is a fine range gun but it is now a bit too touchy for everyday carry.

The 9mm is a LOT cheaper to shoot, so it gets a lot more range time than any of the others.

I do all my own reloading and neither the 9mm or .40 brass fired from the S&Ws shows any bulging. When I reload I can always tell brass fired from a Glock. It is WAY harder to force into the re-sizing die due to the bulge caused by the partially unsupported firing chamber. Not so with the S&Ws. All three have fully supported firing chambers and the brass comes out very even and easy to reload.

If cost is an issue, and it often is with new shooters, the SW9VE is the best bang for the buck on the market today. Try it. You will like it. :)

charliechalmers

+1 on the SW9VE. I also have a SW9GVE. It was my first pistol, and the long and gritty trigger tought me to be a better shooter. I still love it and carry it from time to time. The price can't be beat, ecspecially if you catch them on sale.

ET.

Here's a vote for the 40ve. I've had one for close to 2 years now. After having the factory work on the trigger it has become a favorite of mine. The recoil isn't that great and I have learned to control the trigger pull to the point that I have become a pretty good shot because I had to master the trigger action. If you are not pulling the trigger correctly this gun will tell you. Every one should train with a Sigma.