Sights for Ruger SRH??

Pointer

I need advice on the best sighting system and way to sight my revolver for elk hunting.

Recoil from my Ruger Super Redhawk recently broke my cheap NcStar red dot. It wasn't the best... but I already owned it. :rolleyes:

I tried going back to the factory open sights, but I cannot get it zeroed properly... the front sight is way too fat for fine tuning, and the rear sight doesn't seem all that great either...

I have recently mounted a fiber optic front by Marble, but it's still too fat for 100 yards... I am open to suggestion, but I'm thinking maybe open sights are the simplest approach.

Can you suggest a better system of open sights,

OR

Better yet, a low profile holo sight (or red dot) tough enough for the recoil of the 454 Casull.

I've never owned holographic sights, but they appear to be vulnerable to bump and grind and/or holster damage...

What do you all think?

PetahW

You might want to consider a red dot sight NOT made in China...............................

FWIW, I mounted a cheap/old ($59) 1" Tasco red dot in the issue rings on my new .454 SRH, and shot/hunted it that way for 6 years (about 1,000 rounds, IIRC) w/o any issues B 4 I tired of it and went on to something else.

madcratebuilder

In my experience red dot and holo sights share one problem. The size of the dot at 100yds can be too large. I've killed my share of red dots on mag hand guns. The led dies.

I have two hand guns with fiber optic front sights and use the six o'clock sight picture. What I like better is a narrow gold bead front with a white outline rear.

The first thing I do to any Ruger is add a white outline rear blade.

Have you considered scoping the revolver?