Sights for Mossberg 500

sigmund

Just bought a Mossberg 500A (18.5" barrel, 5 rd. mag) for home defense. (Oops, I mean pest control. "Home defense" is not politically correct and might cause some liberal to have a stroke.)

The only sight on it is a front bead. My feeling is that a ghost ring set-up would be better for "pest control". The receiver is tapped for a scope. Any one have any recommendations for a relatively easy and cheap fix? Thanks.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
What you have will work fine, Sigmund. While my HD and deer 870s have a peep sight,I've done excellent work with a stock riot bbled 870 and could do it again in a heartbeat.

Before you sink money into a sight change, sink some into ammo and range time. After a few fast drills,you might feel differently about switching the sights.

Are GR sights nice to have? Yup.

Are they essential? Nope.

The bead will work just fine. Like Dave said, put some ammo through it. Make sure you just use 2 3/4 non mags in that little mossberg. From personal experience with an 18.5 in bbl mossberg 500 I can tell say that 3 inch magnums through that light gun just plain hurts.

Dave McC

Staff In Memoriam
Call it a HD shotgun , we probably have too many liberals anyways.And a little reality won't hurt that bunch...

Pat's preaching Gospel here. One of the biggest turnoffs for new shooters is going to the heavy stuff before they're ready.They get pounded a few times because they have neither good form nor experience, and another ex shotgunner with a flinch is born.

Start off with the lightest loads you can find or make. Work up in small increments,and keep your form as close to perfect as you can. It WILL come together for you.

Got an E mail about starting loads, so I think I'll start a new thread about this....

sigmund

Shoot it first?? Is that like taste the food before you load it up with salt and pepper? :)

Thanks guys. Got a box of Remington 2 3/4" Light Target shells and heading for the range tomorrow.

pocat

I've been wanting to ask the same question for a while. Just got my "pest control" 500 for Christmas. I got rid of one years ago, and regret it.

Very good advice here - Shoot it a few times, and you'll be surprised how little you need sights. Believe me - If you plan on shooting slugs, you won't do it much. The 18 1/2" barrel kicks like a horse! I took my wife out to shoot it yesterday with light target loads, and she's not talking to me now...

kreepyKop

I have a 590 and I keep hearing about ghost ring sights. What are they and where do you get them, and why would you need them? Thanks.

J

Jeff, CA

1. They are peep sights with a large diameter peep.

2. They are available from Mossberg as an option (look at mossberg.com). If you really want to have them retrofit to an existing gun, I believe Vang Comp Systems (vangcomp.com) will put them on. The front sight has to be silver-soldered on. They will also put on a set made by MMC, which they say are superior (?).

3. You don't really need them; however, they do make sighting easier at longer ranges, and they are adjustable, unlike a bead.

DML

If your 500 receiver is tapped, it is not for a scope. It is tapped for the Mossberg ghost-ring rear sight. The problem is that you will need a front sight to go along with it. I believe a set of Mossberg sights is around $50, but the front sight base will have to be silver soldered to the barrel and the barrel will have to be refinished. This can get expensive. (I know, I do this for a living.)It might be cheaper to locate locate a barrel with the front sight already installed.

MMC and Mec-Gar have clamp on front sights that aren't to bad. That would reduce the cost, but it still wouldn't be cheap.

Keep in mind that you have a $200 shotgun. Are you willing to put another $200-$300 into it?

Clayton Hufford

I have never found a use for GR sights on a shotgun. I tried them, but a bead works just fine for me. Ghost ring sights, especially the Mossberg ones, just clutter up the sight picture at night when you are trying to see the target. A bead is much better indoors. I have no problems shooting slugs with my bead sighted M500, and getting headshot size groups at 40-50 yards. If you want to enhance your bead, try the tritium express one from Ashley. It is easy to install right over your existing bead, and really work great and is very durable. They sell for $60+$6 shipping,part# 10-210C-300-3(for M500/590) Ashley Outdoors 2401 Ludelle Street Fort Worth TX 76105. 1-888-744-4880 http://www.ashleyoutdoors.com I have had excellent results with all their products, and the service is great. The bead sight mentioned above is also highly recommended by Kevin Mclung, of Mad Dog Knives.

jthuang

Ghost ring sights are nice for slugs. Any reputable defensive shotgun class (training is a nice option) will teach the use of slugs so it's nice to have GRs.

Available options:

1. Mossberg factory (~$45 from Brownell's);
2. MMC standard or tritium (http://www.mmcsight.com); or
3. Scattergun Technology Trak-Lock (dunno if will work with M500s, sold by SGT for Remingtons, check http://www.scattergun.com).

HTH,

Justin